News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2018 Build Roundup.

Started by Willybomb, November 25, 2018, 02:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

It's probably a bit early, but with the announcement of the BOTY comp, plus the fact I probably won't finish anything else for the year I thought I would put up my completed builds for 2018.  I have no idea which one is going into the BOTB comp.

In no particular order:

Reactor - Baja's JVM410 on vero, with added eq on the crunch and OD channels.  Couldn't believe that it fired up first time.  I put this down to gluing the layout to the top of the vero.  Four footswitches is fairly tight, but it works.  If I was to build this again, I'd use a global eq as there's some sort of interaction between the two when they get summed to a single output.  Might be able to get around this with some switching hooha, but I'm not revisiting this one ever.

Beastmode - Switches between Zulu99's Mudflap Triple Wreck, and a Superjudge.  The boost on the Mudflap is a modified TS, and is before both drives.  There's also a gate after the Mudflap.  There's also a splitter to power the eyes, and a buffer after that as the Superjudge loves a buffer and the 1 knob gate doesn't work without one.

Genuine Fake - this was a rebox of Razorback that I gifted to a friend.  Long story, but it's inspired by a fake YJM strat I found for that friend.

Lightspeed - Afterlife comp and a Minitaur Klon in a 125b.  Great little box actually, and it sits after my drives as I really like the effect of comp post, as opposed to pre.  Very, very, very messy and tight build.

Tiger Drive - Crunchbox and Mimik in a BB, as a gift to a friend's 10yo son who has been taking to guitar like a duck to water.

Willybomb

Cont.

Brotherhood of Steel - Pedalpcb Brown Betty with switchable gain pot and klon buffer to kill the squeal.  This is the second BEOD style drive I've boxed (and I have another 2 lying around waiting for a box), and I just can't get into it as a drive, as much as I'd like to.

Superjudge Plus - Superjudge on vero with a buffer and LPB1 in front of it.  I really like the SJ, but I wish it had just a bit more saturation to it or something.  This is great though, it never goes over the top gain wise.

Dangerzone - Madbean Dangerzone.  A single effect pot mounted build was a revelation after some of the other things I've built.  Not a massive fan of it, but it's ok.

Megatron TMK 2601 - 3x Octagon FV-1 boards with custom EEPROMs and switches to access the onboard effects.  I don't like the chorus as much as, say, the Porkbarrel, but, I can't complain about the utility of this box.  Except there's no tap for the delays.

Naughtyfish - Madbean Naughtyfish.  A dud tl072 stopped this from working for a while until I worked out what the issue was (with the help of this forum).  I like this a lot on guitar, it's probably not as much fun as a Bassballs on bass though.

Willybomb

Cont.

Arcadiator - Just your bog standard Arcadiator.  I like the artwork, but this is not a pedal I need to have on my pedalboard, unless I write a song around it specifically.

Dangerzone (OCD) - A friend saw my Dangerzone and wanted an OCD with the same artwork.  Easy enough.  Not a fan of the OCD.  Just sounds flabby with my gear (and I've tried a couple of revisions).

Godzilla - RF Drive into a Big British Distortion.  A friend gave me these pcbs that he'd designed, so I finally got around to boxing them both.  The boost only works with the BBD.  The RF drive is basically a Zendrive, and the BBD is a cascaded plexi MIAB thing.

I think that's about it.  I'll update this if anything else gets done.

Willy.

HamSandwich

The Brotherhood of Steel is NICE. Those knobs are amazing.

gordo

Gawd it is so easy to be humble around here.  It really doesn't really matter how good you get, there's always someone out there that can pretty much hand you your ass.  One of the things I enjoy about this hobby is the challenge.  I tend to build at the utility level so I don't feel bad if it gets beat up but it's so inspiring to see the talent that takes it to the next level.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

That lightspeed is making me super jealous. Nice work!

cooder

What an awesome lineup of goodness all around! Be proud and happy with what you achieved, lots of clever and beautiful stuff there!
Just look at it! And I bet there's a gazillion sounds in those...
BigNoise Amplification

mjg

I always love looking at your multi builds, they never fail to impress.  However I think the Genuine Fake is my favourite in terms of the graphics and labels, it's so well executed. 

Nice work all round.  Good luck choosing just one for the boty.  ;D

Willybomb

QuoteThe Brotherhood of Steel is NICE. Those knobs are amazing.

Thanks, just a bunch of cheapies off Wish.

QuoteI tend to build at the utility level so I don't feel bad if it gets beat up but it's so inspiring to see the talent that takes it to the next level.

My guts are not as good as the outsides though.  I tend to rush at the end in order to get them finished.

QuoteThat lightspeed is making me super jealous. Nice work!

It's on my board, very useful pedal.  The LEDs aren't square though and the guts are a mess but that's a symptom of the enclosure size.

QuoteBe proud and happy with what you achieved, lots of clever and beautiful stuff there!

Thanks, I can definitely see the improvement over the years too.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=26973.msg261052#msg261052
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=24443.msg238353#msg238353