News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ultra flanger build

Started by thomasha, November 26, 2018, 11:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasha

Hi, just finished the ultra flanger. I had some problems here and there...

First, got a bad MN3007 from a big elect. parts store. I guess it was not stored properly, or I did something wrong, cause the second one worked without problems...

The solderman layout was a nice start, but lacked some extra filters and the correction of the ticking noise (I used boss 100k + 10nF approach to round the square wave).

I also added some extra filtering at the 4.9V point required for the MN3007, and the 3.8V used for the LFO. That solved it. And there was still some space on the board after moving some parts. Illustrator is a powerfull tool in this case, but I decided to make the layout using Eagle, because I was getting tired of checking the parts number and looking for the used value all the time. This way I can se the resistor value or ID on the board. And compare to the schematic.

The LFO goes really slow in this build, what is really awesome for that kind of jet sound. The chorus is also very nice. It goes from jet to chorus just reducing the feedback. The manual makes it sound like a jet or more like a phaser depending on the setting.

It oscillated at me at the first time, like a bomb alarm, pretty scary. Fortunately it has the trimpots to adjust the intensity of the feedback.

The etch turned out darker than expected, because I made it with the inverted colors, and forgot to check how it would look like. Since I used an inverted etch the black made everything even darker. I should have gone for a transparent blue in this one, to combine with the waves and lighthouse design.

It is a nice flanger after all, goes from jet to subtle and also works as a nice chorus. It distorts a little in the jet-like setting, but nothing the guitar volume won't solve. I decided to keep it like this, without reducing the gain of the first opamp stage, because it sounds nice distorted. The doppler effect or phasing is easier to hear.

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Tremster

Gut pics or it didn't happen!

gordo

+1 on the WOW.  I have nightmares about cramming this kind of stuff in a 1590.  Very nicely done.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dan.schumaker

Its amazing to get all that in there with through hole IC's.  I made one up as well, but had to go SMD for the IC's.

thomasha

Here you have some guts

I spray painted the board before closing the lid

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

cooder

Shoehorning to the max! Wicked!
BigNoise Amplification