News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2017 Mangler - what to watch out for, pros/cons?

Started by Juicy_scooby, November 28, 2018, 11:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juicy_scooby

Hey guys!

Just getting started DIYing here, love this site and forum. I want to build a Fuzz Face clone for my first project and I'd like it to be AC128's with the TC1044SCPA voltage converter recommended on this PCB so I can wire it to other circuits and still daisy chain my pedal board hassle free.

I've seen some kits that include Charge Pumps/Voltage Converter circuits and the works, as well as many takes on the transistors of course. I love this layout because it keeps the Voltage conversion simple, allows for a few mods (like the RPD to reduce pop, etc.) and of course has the classic fuzz face circuit at its core. I do see a few additional parts I don't recognise in this schematic though and I'm curious how the Mangler differs from/improves upon the most basic FF circuit.

Also I'd love to hear some more build reports of how it went, how it sounds, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

thesmokingman

more specific questions tend to net more specific responses
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

alanp

In general, Small Bear's transistor kits specifically designed for Fuzz Faces work fairly well, as long as you follow the biasing instructions.

What in specific would you like to know?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Bret608

If you're just looking at the core of the circuit and not the charge pump/power supply filtering, the only changes are that 100pf cap across the Q2 base/collector (which you can just leave out for a stock build) and the 20k bias trimmer, along with the 220 ohm resistor that sets its bottom limit. The trimmer just replaced the 8.2k resistor in the stock circuit. That gives you more flexibility with transistor selection and dialing it in by ear.

If it's really AC128s you want, pedalhacker would be your best bet, and it looks like Fuzzdog still has some too. I'd recommend thinking about what kind of frequency response you want first, though. AC128s are quite dark and thick, which is cool but isn't great with every circuit. AC125, 2n1305, and many others can sound great in a Fuzz Face. I would recommend you check out the great FF transistor comparison video that DIY Guitar Pedals (chromesphere from this very forum) has out there on YouTube.

Good luck with your build!