News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590A Ultra Flanger (Another one) and other recent builds

Started by dan.schumaker, December 03, 2018, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here are a few more builds I finished up in the last week or so.

First is the Ultra Flanger.  Thomasha beat me to this by a few days.  This is based on the Hollis Ultra Flanger, and I also included some of the mods to reduce ticking.  This does sound really good with no ticking.  I re-routed the power on this one so it runs on BL3207.  This is also the first 1590A that I was able to fit a Soft-Touch Relay Bypass in.  I am very happy in how that turned out as well.
1861 Shining Wizard by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr
The next one is the Patina Compressor.  This is based on the Keeley 4-knob compressor.  I actually designed this board well over a year ago, but always had a dumb mistake in it.  So this is rev 4 of this board, and I was finally able to get it to work!
1859 Patina by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr
Here is a modulated delay that I have also been working on.  I call this one The Dreaming.  It is a  double-time delay with modulation on it.  I have the depth of the modulation on a pot (flutter), but the speed is on a switch, with two different speed settings (middle is no modulation).  I also have added a second dry output for splitting it between two amps, as well as a warp control for feedback.  The Warp control has a switch to change how fast the feedback kicks in.  I wanted to include a relay bypass on the board, but I ran out of available pins in Diptrace!
1858 The Dreaming by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr
This is the Gamma Ray Phaser.  This is based on the Whetstone Phaser (another OTA Small Stone).  I was able to get this down to a 125BB enclosure, and have added Relay Bypass to it.  This is another good sounding phaser, I like the different range options it gives, the Ring Mod-like speed setting gives some pretty cool sounds.
1857 Gamma Ray by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

thomasha

Really nice,
good that you did a professional board for yours,
the Solderman board lacked some filtering caps. On the other hand, he already did a good layout and I just copied had to copy it and add my changes.

I thought of using a bl3207 too, because it's like 1/5 of the price of the MN3007. Other than the supply pins, are there any other changes required in the circuit? I'm still missing an analog delay in my pedalboard...

You have an extra IC in there, is it for the switching or something else?

dan.schumaker

Quote from: thomasha on December 03, 2018, 06:44:44 PM
Really nice,
good that you did a professional board for yours,
the Solderman board lacked some filtering caps. On the other hand, he already did a good layout and I just copied had to copy it and add my changes.

I thought of using a bl3207 too, because it's like 1/5 of the price of the MN3007. Other than the supply pins, are there any other changes required in the circuit? I'm still missing an analog delay in my pedalboard...

You have an extra IC in there, is it for the switching or something else?

The extra IC is the microchip for the relay switching.

The BL3207 implementation wasn't that bad.  It was just switching some supply pins around.  I did the same on a Small Clone I have for 1590A as well.  The success of that is what lead me to using it again on here.
BL3207 Shining Wizardjpg by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

thomasha

Nice!
I thought it would require some other changes and extra filters, but this way I guess I will give it a try too.
I have more of those, and I am reading about delays for some time.

gordo

I'm starting to think there's something seriously wrong with you guys :-)

Seriously, a flanger WITH relay bypass crammed into that little box???  You're just showing off now...

Amazing builds all around.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Boba7

Thats crazy!! All very impressive but the ultraflanger, seriously, that's insane!!

Amazing work

You guys keep blowing my mind

:)