News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Freekout

Started by chongmagic, December 03, 2018, 06:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chongmagic

I just finished the Freekout and the sound is very low when the effect is activated. From the demos this doesn't seem to be the way it should react. I tried to find the voltages listed but can't seem to find any.

sonnyboy27

Is it still low when you move the blend knob all the way dry?

chongmagic

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on December 04, 2018, 06:42:54 AM
Is it still low when you move the blend knob all the way dry?

Yes, and when I disengage the effect if the amp is up it is about 10 times louder. I think I may have fried the AD633 chip, when I was testing the voltage of the chip there was a spark when I put the positive probe on pin 5. I found that in my infinite wisdom I had forgotten to solder one leg of the caps which I think caused the issue. I soldered it and it no longer sparked, but I am guess it probably fried the chip. I am going to try another one, thankfully I have an extra.

chongmagic

Now the pedal will just make a noise that revs up and down when the fine and shift pots are turned. I put in both of the AD633 chips and it does the same thing. I will have to get some voltages off the chips. I am guessing when the cap wasn't completely soldered in and it sparked it might have fried more than I thought.

madbean

Post pics, post voltages. There is nothing anyone can do without some basic diagnostic info to go by.

chongmagic

Quote from: madbean on December 04, 2018, 07:23:04 PM
Post pics, post voltages. There is nothing anyone can do without some basic diagnostic info to go by.
I will post some voltages and pics tomorrow, was just wondering if there were any voltages posted anywhere like some of the other build guides have?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

madbean

Quote from: chongmagic on December 04, 2018, 07:36:57 PM
Quote from: madbean on December 04, 2018, 07:23:04 PM
I will post some voltages and pics tomorrow, was just wondering if there were any voltages posted anywhere like some of the other build guides have?

I know I have some. I don't know why they are not in the doc. You work on your side and I will work on mine. We'll get it sorted.

chongmagic

Will do thank you!

chongmagic

Here are the pics of the build and a sheet with the voltages.

chongmagic

Here is a better pic of the back.

chongmagic

And here is a better view of the IC voltages.

chongmagic

These voltages were taken with all the pots full CCW. I tried the pedal again last night, and all I get is a low or high oscillation noise that changes as the shift and fine pots are turned. The blend knob does nothing or is very minute in what it does.

Bypass works fine, LED comes on fine. I am not sure if it is the ICL8038 I procured or not. All I could find were some on ebay. All the other ICs were from Mouser or Smallbear.

chongmagic

madbean

Some of your voltages are not consistent, it seems. Even between the two sets you provided. For instance, you have .674v on pin5 of the LT1054 and -13.76v on pin4 of IC1, yet these are the same voltage supply. But, those might just be mistakes in measuring and not a problem on the actual circuit.

I did find my original voltages. Here is a pic below for reference. A lot of your voltages are in the right range. But, a few of them are further out than they should be. Some of your IC pins that should be close to 0 are reading in the 100+mV range. I would re-flow solder on all your ground wires and see if that fixes it.

You said your output is very low so the first thing I would actually do it the ICL8038 and AD633 out of there sockets. Turn up the blend all the way and check the volume output again. It should be close to unity with the bypass signal. If not, then the problem (or one of them) lies with IC1 or the input of the circuit.

chongmagic

The first time I was testing the voltages across the AD633, I accidentally touched the probe to pin 5 and 6 at the same time and it sparked. I am not sure if that indicates a grounding issue or not but I will reflow the ground connections and try it without the two IC's and see if the sound is louder.