News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Light Ring

Started by madbean, December 07, 2018, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I posted this on Reddit so some might find it interesting. I might fab a few of these but with 7 LEDs instead of 3.

Here's the explanation from Reddit:

I made this to test out whether or not this was worth DIY. I think the answer is no, although I probably will have some fabricated to make the process easier.

Anyway, first I etched the PCB. Then I cut it into roughly a round shape as close to the final dimension as possible. I drilled a small hole in the center and mounted it to my Dremel while in its drill press stand. While turning the PCB I used sandpaper to shave the outer edge down into a smooth round shape. This part went really well, actually. The edges are super smooth. I could have cut it closer but this was only a test, after all.

From there it was just a matter of applying solder paste, placing the LEDs then heating the whole thing up until the solder melted. The hardest part was applying solder paste by hand and making sure it did not spill over to the ground pour. I got lucky.

cooder

Certainly does look snazzy...!
BigNoise Amplification

EBK

Reminds me vaguely of those neopixel rings:

Some more inspiration:

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

Oh yeah, we need a project with pots that do that!!!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

culturejam

BLMS has had something like this in the works for a while. I did the PCBs for it, but for whatever reason it hasn't been released. ??
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects