News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New jacks

Started by madbean, December 07, 2018, 05:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I was browsing Mouser the other day and noticed these jacks. I think I will order a few. I very much like the form factor. Might be good for 1590A or G.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/568-RJ3VM

dan.schumaker

That's a good price too.  Let us know what you think of them.

madbean

I got these today. Overall I think these will work. They are not high quality Switchcraft, obviously, but I have no problem with using cheap jacks.

Good things:
Jack casing only extends to the very edge of a 1/4" jack when inserted, so there's no useless bulk to account for when putting them in an enclosure.
The facing edge is metal which should provide good ground contact with an enclosure. Also, there are four small ridges to act as a sort of lock washer. I think these will dig into the aluminum a bit to help lock the jacks in place.

Less good:
The wire hooks are impossibly small. I think you'd have to use 24 or 26AWG to thread into them. So, I'll probably just bend them inward a bit and wrap my wire around them then solder. Not a deal breaker.

The nut it comes with is thicker than what you typically find on the super cheap Chinese jacks. Basically the same nut as used on the open frame metal jacks Neutrik makes.

The real test will be when I use them in a build. At $.80 each this could be a winner.

somnif

Last time I ordered "box" style jack from Mouser I accidentally ordered them with that style wire terminal. I ended up just laying the wires flat along them and soldered, great for repairs/re-do's, but probably not the most mechanically sound.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/568-NYS234-3 for reference.

gordo

$0.80 you say.  Hmmm.  I'm just getting used to trusting Lumbergs so I'm intrigued.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pickdropper

Unless I'm seeing the picture wrong, I don't think those are actually meant to be wire hooks.  They are for mounting the jack to a PCB.

I actually like that.  I just wrap the wire around it.  Done right, it's very mechanically stable and the PCB mounts are smaller in profile than the big eyelets on most jacks.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

somnif

Here is an example of the "pin" style terminal in my jacks:

Tin the pin (the groove picks up a dab of solder well), tin the wire. Set wire on tab and touch with iron to fuse. I don't bother folding or wrapping or anything like that (no real need for mechanical resilience when its just going to live on my bedroom floor).

The metal is quite thin and flexy, which may be a little worrysome, but the tin-selenium plating they use is really user friendly (no need for a half gallon of flux like Tayda's open jacks).

Not sure how the silver plating on the jacks Bean listed compares, but the low thermal mass probably makes them similarly wet-able.

m-Kresol

while on the topic: does anyone have a part number or similar for 1590A compatible jacks at Arrow electronics?
I ordered some small ones from Musikding, but still had to butcher them to make it a reasonable fit for the dreamtime delay. Also the holes had to be 11mm, which is 2mm more than the standard lumbergs.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

Quote from: m-Kresol on December 15, 2018, 03:14:00 AM
while on the topic: does anyone have a part number or similar for 1590A compatible jacks at Arrow electronics?
I ordered some small ones from Musikding, but still had to butcher them to make it a reasonable fit for the dreamtime delay. Also the holes had to be 11mm, which is 2mm more than the standard lumbergs.

Have you ever tried full size enclosed jacks?  Those are actually my preference.  I use them in all my 1590A builds.  I usually anchor the PCB to them with a bit of 3M VHB industrial tape.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on December 14, 2018, 10:05:48 PM
Here is an example of the "pin" style terminal in my jacks:

Tin the pin (the groove picks up a dab of solder well), tin the wire. Set wire on tab and touch with iron to fuse. I don't bother folding or wrapping or anything like that (no real need for mechanical resilience when its just going to live on my bedroom floor).

The metal is quite thin and flexy, which may be a little worrysome, but the tin-selenium plating they use is really user friendly (no need for a half gallon of flux like Tayda's open jacks).

Not sure how the silver plating on the jacks Bean listed compares, but the low thermal mass probably makes them similarly wet-able.

That's interesting.  I do rotate the wires 90 degrees from the orientation you use.  I wrap the wire around the pin same as I would with the eyelet version of the same jacks.

Not saying one way is right or wrong, just adding a data point.
Function f(x)