News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Loris coupling cap value

Started by deadbeat, December 13, 2018, 04:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbeat

I'm trying to figure out why the Slow Loris uses a 1uF cap on C7 when every other version and clone of the RAT I've seen uses a 4.7uF (also the position of R6 and C7 are reversed)? What frequencies are being filtered out and would there be any benefit of using a different value if I'm planing on using it with a 5 string bass?

madbean

The 1uF is because it uses a film cap instead of an electrolytic. It's more of a mojo/boutique choice (depending in where you stand on electros vs. film in the signal path).

The position of R6 relative to C7 doesn't matter in this case (before or after). It does two things - a bit of current limiting from the gain stage and setting up an LPF with C14. Why I did it before...if I had to guess I'd say it's because the Slow Loris is one of the oldest mbp projects and back when I hand-making all the PCBs the layout worked better with the parts in that order. I guess I never changed the order back it when I started doing it as a double-sided manufactured board.

In any case, if you are using the SL for bass, it would not hurt to change C7 and C9 to 4u7. This would ensure any really low subs from the bass get through.

deadbeat