News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pedal Beer

Started by 401waterman, October 18, 2011, 10:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

Cool thread. Man, I dont have just one. I'm one of those guys who never drinks the same beer back to back. Right now I have about 6 different beers in the fridge. But they are always microbrews. I like dark, wheat, fruit(yeah I said it  :o), IPA's, pales...you name it. I used to make it so I really got into experimenting.

Coffee for my morning builds.

Having said that, I never get too buzzed while building.

Do you guys find with just the right buzz, maybe 2beers or whatever, you actually dial in and focus? I do for some reason, but that is a fine line so I drink slowly as I build.
John

insomniac2295

Quote from: madbean on October 19, 2011, 03:40:42 PM
I've always been into coffee when making stuff. But, a margarita can get things bumpin.

I get too warm easily. If I drink coffee while soldering stuff, I get way too warm. I always drink something cold

Smeero

Quote from: 401waterman on October 21, 2011, 10:36:11 PM
ahhh man.  hows that chicory stout? sounds amazing...
It's only seasonal now, but it is fantastic.

CK1

Being that I'm from the eastern PA, I'll have to go with Yuengling as my standard beer.  I wouldn't say it's my favorite overall, but it certainly is my go-to choice for a working man's brew.  

I also second the love for green tea with jasmine, as well as a well-brewed cup of coffee.  Getting thirsty now...

oldschoolanalog

A lot of Coffee for building & troubleshooting.
Loads of Vodka for testing & playing!
I'm not a Diode Destroyer. I'm a BBDamned fool!

add4

during the day : coffee and water.
during the evening : ... blue chi may or triple westmael, duvet, orval, so many great beers in belgium. But after the fourth one you might stick the soldering iron into your eye if you're not VERY careful..

nzCdog

Quote from: add4 on November 25, 2011, 03:46:33 PM
during the day : coffee and water.
during the evening : ... blue chi may or triple westmael, duvet, orval, so many great beers in belgium. But after the fourth one you might stick the soldering iron into your eye if you're not VERY careful..

Mmmm Belgian beer!  We only get a few here in NZ, I really enjoy a Leffe Blonde.  Tried a Hoegarrden Dark once and it was like drinking pickled compost juice... erm... obviously an acquired taste? lol :D

bigmufffuzzwizz

MMM i love Belgium beer!! Just got lucky enough the other night to try Trappist Westvleteren 12 which is pretty much the #1 rated beer in the world by beeradvocate. If your in Belgium, seek it out!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

add4

I KNOW!
haven't got the chance to put my hands on even one of these so far :)
You're good! or live very close to belgium?
it's already very hard to find most of these beers in france, except the leffe of course.
is the westvleteren living up to its reputation?

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on November 25, 2011, 06:04:32 PM
MMM i love Belgium beer!! Just got lucky enough the other night to try Trappist Westvleteren 12 which is pretty much the #1 rated beer in the world by beeradvocate. If your in Belgium, seek it out!

TNblueshawk

I was talking to a guy from Sweeden on another forum and he laid out the process of what he has to do to get great beer. Blew me away how difficult it was let alone expensive.

Is it hard to get micro beers in France and how come?
John

add4

I was in holiday in Iceland.. same thing.. we wanted to celebrate out 4th 'being together' anniversary with a bottle of wine, in the middle of nowhere, we ended up driving 2 hours to find one bottle. and payed 15 euros for the same bottle that is worth 4.5 euros in the closest supermarket here ..

I don't know about microbreweries in france.. i know that special belgian beers are much harder to find than in belgium were every bar and supermarket has at least 20 different beers and almost everybody drink these .. it's like mass consummation in belgium, huge brands (or so it seems). if you drive one hour south to france, these beers are impossible to find, except leffe and some chimay and the price doubles or triples.

We might not have been capable to make a government for .. more than 500 days ...  but we can get drunk for cheap to forget that.. :)

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 26, 2011, 05:36:14 AM
I was talking to a guy from Sweeden on another forum and he laid out the process of what he has to do to get great beer. Blew me away how difficult it was let alone expensive.

Is it hard to get micro beers in France and how come?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: add4 on November 25, 2011, 10:15:12 PM
I KNOW!
haven't got the chance to put my hands on even one of these so far :)
You're good! or live very close to belgium?
it's already very hard to find most of these beers in france, except the leffe of course.
is the westvleteren living up to its reputation?

I know some very dedicated people into the beer scene that are very generous and are more than happy to share. The guy who opened that went to Belgium and got hooked up at one of the breweries. He showed me the list and it was insane what they sold him, all for under $100 bucks.. The Westvleteren was good but doesn't compare to all the bourbon barrel aged Imp. Stouts we drank that night  ;D but its good!!
St Bernardus 12 is supposed to be the same recipe as the westvleteren, they used to be the same company under a different name. Can you imagine monks and businessmen fighting over a coveted recipe ("the best beer in belgium")? Of course they must be forgetting about De Molen and Cantillion...What I would do for a Cantillion Gueze...
And to think you can go buy any of these vintages in a bottles at a local supermaket/local brewery's caves....

Quote from: TNblueshawk on November 26, 2011, 05:36:14 AM

When your talking about brewery only releases, reserve societies (allocations) and all the companies making amazing stuff in the midwest that's impossible to get, add $20 a bottle shipping on that, it gets insane! There is many bottles on ebay that my buddy has that are going for $120-250...

That's why Saturday I'm gonna be joining an experienced home brewer and learning the ropes!! I'm still dreaming of getting paid to brew beer....

TNblueshawk

Good luck on the home brew lesson muff. I never took that next step up the brewing ladder. It would have really been a commitment both in terms of money and time....mostly time to be honest. The amount of and importance of sterilization in this process blows one's mind. One bad germ and your batch is toast. I read a couple books on it when I was thinking about jumping into it more and just decided I didn't have the time to do it right.
John

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: TNblueshawk on December 01, 2011, 11:06:17 AM
Good luck on the home brew lesson muff. I never took that next step up the brewing ladder. It would have really been a commitment both in terms of money and time....mostly time to be honest. The amount of and importance of sterilization in this process blows one's mind. One bad germ and your batch is toast. I read a couple books on it when I was thinking about jumping into it more and just decided I didn't have the time to do it right.

Thanks! Hung out and watched the guy, helped where I could. There's so much to know but he showed me in what I believe to be the easy way, no technical info except for tempatures. It was like cooking soup!!
This guy had a lot of equipment for being at his house, he has something that allows him to steam everything and sterilize before any next step. Once the beer is in the fermentor and the yeast is pitched, it will battle and most likely eat bad germs and bad bacteria as long as its not excessive. Now I gotta get my own kit!!

TNblueshawk

Coooooool. Love the steam idea. Has to be a time saver.

Of course bottling is an art unto itself too. The batch can get contaminated during that process too while the surgars work to carbonate.

I assume he is making 5 gallon batches at a time?
John