News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fat Pants Version 1 Question

Started by mjcyates, December 20, 2018, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

I am making a pcb layout based on the Fatpants Ver. 1 04.18.10 from the archives. What would be the easiest component change to warm it up just a touch?

JC103

Is that the 2013 version? The full spectrum boost is worth your time.

JackSkellington

The early version is without the input buffer. But maybe you could try to change some value or to add some parts.

This is the schematic of the version 1:

I never tried all these before, I just assume or read these tricks around:
- If you need more bass you could try to increse C2
- I'm not really sure, but if you increase C1 maybe you can cut some highs
- Increase C3 to fatten your tone (the 2013 version use a 47uf)
- To cut some highs the 2013 vesion use a 3.3nF cap before the Volume pot. But there is before, in series with the signal, a 10k resistor. You could try to include just the cap and see how it sounds, maybe you can use a smalle cap as 1nF.
You can even try some different JFET, but you have to change the R4 resistor to get the right drain voltage, too. It should be close to 4.5v if you don't use a charge pump, I guess.

So you should make some experiments. ;)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

mjcyates

That is the schematic that I am using as a starting point. I built it as is and it sounds really good I just want to shave some of the brightness off and maybe make it just a touch fatter. Thanks for the suggestions I will try some out and see where it gets me.

madbean

Increasing C3 will actually make it brighter. I suggest making C2 100n for fatness and try 470pf or 560pF for C1 to cut down some more treble.

mjcyates

mjcyates

So I made C2 100n and C1 470pf and that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again!