News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A Christmas Miracle (Nameless Flanger)

Started by Timko, December 24, 2018, 08:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

I started 2018 with high aspirations when it came to pedal building. I had 10 or so things I had lined up to build, but I realized in March or so my heart just wasn't in it. After building 40 or so pedals in a couple years, this hobby was starting to feel like work in that I was frustrated with every little thing I didn't do perfectly. So I decided to take a sabbatical from building and focus my energy elsewhere.

As fall arrived, I started to get that itch again. I had built 5 or so boards that I handing boxed before my break, and I decided to try to finish Alanp's pub based on the ElectricStorm clone of the Lovetone Flanger with No Name. After putting the basic circuit in the box, I was...underwhelmed by the effect. I had seen videos on YouTube that show this pedal creating all kinds of crazy sounds, and mine sounded kind of dull. So I started working my way through the circuit, seeing if I missed something. I replaced the LDRs.  The LEDs. Some of the transistors. And I just couldn't get the sounds I wanted. After conversing with Alanp as well as some others who have had successful builds, Aristatertotle suggested I look at RG Keen's article on how wet and dry phaser sounds are mixed. This ended up being the key for this pedal, ad all of those whacky sounds are there in spades. I may still do some component tweaking to get both the Time and Space effects balanced right, but that should be no problem.

This pedal has stereo out as well as the FX loop and expression pedal mod. If you're looking for a challenging build, this is one to try.

Big thanks to Alanp, LaceSensor, and Aristatertotle for helping me so much with troubleshooting. They gave me some great ideas, and a sounding board as I worked through it.

More things to come in 2019. Merry Christmas!

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

nzCdog

Oh man... well done Timko, congrats on solving that issue

cooder

Excellent and great tenacity to get it going!
Well done and doesn't it feel good and satisfying to get it there in the end!
BigNoise Amplification

LaceSensor

Keen to know what the final fix was?

Congrats on getting 'er done

Timko

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 26, 2018, 05:57:58 AM
Keen to know what the final fix was?

Congrats on getting 'er done

I changed R25 (from the Time part of the circuit) from 39k to 20k to better balance the resistance on the wet signal. I think that I need to increase it just a bit, but I'll play with some values over the week to see the effect and land on an option.

Bret608

I really like that etch! Congrats on getting it sorted...I admire your persistence.

Timko

Quote from: Bret608 on December 27, 2018, 06:56:00 AM
I really like that etch! Congrats on getting it sorted...I admire your persistence.

Thanks!  I will admit I did not like this etch until I painted and sanded.  Most of my etches are more complex and felt this one looked a little lazy, but with the large enclosure it turned out well.  I also used this as an excuse to buy flat pink paint for the sides, which will be used in future projects.

As for persistence...it's probably more stubbornness, but thanks anyway.  ;)

Andlord

Nice one. Any chance you could tell me where you got the switch from? I got the same boards almost done but can't find that stupid switch

Timko

Andlord

Sorry, the question was not really precise.

I was refering to the rotary switch. Where can I get those at a reasonable price?

Timko

I'll go ahead and mention that the one I ended up with had a D style shaft, and I had to shim it in order to have the knob fit at the correct angle.  If you end up with a round one you'll be much better than I!