News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion L5 preamp build (Long overdue)

Started by Ekimneets, December 28, 2018, 06:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyled

The nameplate for the enclosure is a hidden page on the Aion website.

https://aionelectronics.com/project/l5-preamp-logo-nameplate/

Here's the link to the actual enclosure page, but it's out of stock.

https://aionelectronics.com/project/l5-preamp-enclosure/

Ekimneets

Quote from: skyled on December 31, 2018, 03:50:23 PM
The nameplate for the enclosure is a hidden page on the Aion website.

https://aionelectronics.com/project/l5-preamp-logo-nameplate/

Here's the link to the actual enclosure page, but it's out of stock.

https://aionelectronics.com/project/l5-preamp-enclosure/
Thx, thats awesome./

Typo'd from my iphone
Legion of one at Black Octopus Pedalworx.

nzCdog

Hot! Great work Mike, pleased keep posting your builds they're a pleasure to behold :)

Invertiguy

Wow, that looks incredible! Great work! I recently started gathering all the parts to put my own together, and if it turns out half as well as yours did I'll be a happy man! If I may ask, where did you end up sourcing the 2.5kA pots from? I can't seem to find suitable ones at any of my usual suppliers.
Doomsday Devices

Willybomb

These look like great boxes.  Might have to try one...

Ekimneets

nzCdog, thx very much. I learned a lot and I love the pedal.

Invertiguy, I don't know how to link a thread. But if you go over to beginners Paradise and look a couple of post down there is an Aion L5 build post where I documented some of this and it specifically talks about how I made the pots out of A5k ones.

Willy, Do it you will enjoy it.

-Mike

Typo'd from my iphone

ahiddentableau

I dropped off the radar for a week and I totally missed this.  Way to go, neets!  Your build turned out every bit as beautiful as I expected.

Ekimneets

AHT, thx for your confidence, not only was it fun, but it was an education as well.

Typo'd from my iphone

chongmagic

Ekimneets

I am working on one of these right now, almost to the point where I will have to mount the pots. I was wondering how you dialed in the distortion and comp/limiter values. Did you use the iPhone app as stated in the build docs? I have been reading through it and just wanted to get someone's take on it that had actually built it.

gordo

There's likely a way more clinical approach but I found that in the end I used a sig gen set to about what the specs were and then dialed it in by ear.  Even having the real amp next to me didn't make much difference.  It's a very weird compressor in how Moog approached a guitar amp and you just have to set it to what sounds best to you.  In real world use: I set the real amp to how much dynamic range I need it to be capable of.  Classic rock might need a higher setting, Blues and more dynamic stuff might need a bit less.  It's really interactive with the format you need it to be and the guitar volume.  In hind sight Robert Moog thought that guitar players thought WAY more about how we get our tone than keyboard players.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Timko

I used the iPhone app to get me in the ballpark on my build from a couple years ago, then messed with the trim pots until I came up with a sound I liked.

This build is also one of the most satisfying from a sound perspective.  It literally turned my vintage Ampeg Rocket, filled with warm jazzy tones, into a chimey Vox just by changing the EQ on channel 1.   Couple that with the miryad of options on channel 2 and you have a pedal that can replace your entire drive section of your board just by adding a couple of boosts.

chongmagic

I was looking forward to trying to wrap it up this weekend, but just realized I don't have a 50kC pot, I received a 500kC by mistake.  :-\

Invertiguy

Quote from: chongmagic on January 25, 2019, 07:51:18 AM

I was looking forward to trying to wrap it up this weekend, but just realized I don't have a 50kC pot, I received a 500kC by mistake.  :-\
Bummer, I'm in the same boat, just with different pots. I'm still waiting on the two 2.5kA pots to get here from Germany, they shipped out on the 7th and that's the last I heard of them.
Doomsday Devices

DLW

Quote from: Invertiguy on January 25, 2019, 07:04:21 PM
Quote from: chongmagic on January 25, 2019, 07:51:18 AM

Bummer, I'm in the same boat, just with different pots. I'm still waiting on the two 2.5kA pots to get here from Germany, they shipped out on the 7th and that's the last I heard of them.

Where did you find the A2k5 pots? I need some too.