News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bad Kitty and Big Cheese, finishing up 2018

Started by cooder, December 30, 2018, 09:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

What better way to finish up 2018 by boxing up two fuzzy boxes of goodiness and rocking it out while the neighbourhood is extra tolerant of noise today...!

Bad Kitty is a based on  Katzenkoenig as per THC schematic. Experimented with a few trannies to settle for the favourite growl, ended up with all BC548 and tested for HfE, settled on a matched set that was all around the 280 HfE mark.
Great versatile fun box, singing sustain and grit, many tones in different combination of tone and sensitivity. Like it lots.

Being a HUGE Wallace and Gromit fan AND a dog owner it was high time to have a pedal with Gromit graphics...
The Lovetone Big Cheese made a crackin' candidat. I messed with the circuit a bit, admittedly, I know sacrilege... but nothing too major. I used a 2P4T small rotary because I have a tone of them and they are great space savers.
That meant I had to put the 'velcro' type setting on a separate switch as the original does that with a 3P4T rotary instead and it allowed me to introduce and extra tone setting on rotary. his also means that the gated 'velcro' type sound is available on any rotary setting and I have even two slightly different versions via the on/off/on toggle (called 'bones'...). So a bit more versatility, soundwise however no changes to the core circuitry. Just more options.
Very cool fuzz too. Rippin'...

Relay bypass courtesy of 1776 finish line, acrylic faceplate over laser printed water decal.

Guts 'Bad Kitty':

Guts 'Big Cheese':

Have a fab and happy New Years everyone out there, stay safe and sound! 8)

BigNoise Amplification

alanp

Very nice, and I'm highly impressed with the Big Cheese mods! (I'm more iffy on parts mounted opposite the rotary switch -- it makes it hard to troubleshoot or replace parts.)

Pretty good stuff! Don't know much about the Katzenkoenig circuit, though.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjg

I do like a bit of Gorgonzola!  :D

Good looking pedals, as always.

jjjimi84

Great work! That big cheese is so cool, pretty amazing you fit all of that on that board.

cooder

Quote from: alanp on December 30, 2018, 11:01:32 PM
Very nice, and I'm highly impressed with the Big Cheese mods! (I'm more iffy on parts mounted opposite the rotary switch -- it makes it hard to troubleshoot or replace parts.)

Pretty good stuff! Don't know much about the Katzenkoenig circuit, though.
Cheers, here's a snippet of the tone section and how I separated the rotary and toggle switch. Nothing ground breaking, but works just fine. The first position of rotary switch is still tone stack bypass, in last position I added a 15n cap to the original design. The toggle is on/off/on. If you quickly glance over original schematic it will make sense.
And yes, I'm a bit stingy when it comes to board size and cost so I squeeze as much as I can on there... I don't put electrolytic on the opposite side of rotary though as they would be the most likely culprits going off I spose...

The Bad Kitty aka Katzenkoenig is really cool too and well worth checking out!

Quote from: mjg on December 30, 2018, 11:37:22 PM
I do like a bit of Gorgonzola!  :D

Ha!

BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Very sexy builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

mauzau

cooder

Quote from: jimilee on December 31, 2018, 07:49:14 AM
Very sexy builds.

You know it's a pass when Jimi gets aroused despite the pedals not being phasers... ;)
BigNoise Amplification

nzCdog

Wow! Always so tidy man, great work!  8)
I read that Felix the cat is entering public domain soon? Thought that was interesting!  My kids are huge fans of Wallis and Grommet too. :)

cooder

Cheers Corey!
Felix has certainly found his domain in my pedal collection now... ;)
BigNoise Amplification