News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Headtrip smd question

Started by chris weaver, January 01, 2019, 09:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris weaver

Is there anyway to test if you've got the smd in right before populating the rest of the board?
A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth. Joseph Conrad

madbean

Quote from: chris weaver on January 01, 2019, 09:35:42 PM
Is there anyway to test if you've got the smd in right before populating the rest of the board?

Partially. if you have a continuity checker on your multimeter you can use it to test individual pins to other key points on the PCB. If you look at the trace diagram you can see the red and blue (top and bottom) traces that connect the pins to other parts on the PCB. The ones that have no trace connections are connected to the ground pour (except pins 5 and 27 which are not connected to anything).

You can check all the pins this way, or start with the power and ground connections and make sure those are good. You can also post a couple close up pics of each side and I can take a look at them. You can't always tell by sight but I'm happy to give you my opinion.

gordo

I've had real good luck with viewing the board from the side thru the magnifier to get a side view of the pins.  With a bit of light its pretty easy to see if you missed a pad and how clean the connection is.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

chris weaver

A caricature is putting the face of a joke on the body of a truth. Joseph Conrad

somnif

Quote from: chris weaver on January 05, 2019, 07:35:28 PM
Pin13 no continuity?

Pin 13 should have continuity with  one side of R12, and one side of the I/E switch. If not, touch it with your iron again to make sure you're getting good bonding to the pad.

chris weaver

I'm going to hit it with the hot air gun & recheck it

chris weaver

Ton of flux, tad of solder & fixed!