News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vocal-use pedal with XLR - Need some input

Started by culturejam, January 04, 2019, 09:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

A buddy of mine asked me about making him a distortion pedal for vocal use. He obviously wants XLR in/out (and phantom power if possible, but not required). My knowledge of anything vocal-related is laughably minimal.

If any of you have built a pedal for vocal use, I'd love to  have your input (or give me a link to an existing project). I've done some light reading on balanced vs unbalanced signals, and I have some ideas on how to make it work, but I'd rather hear from direct experience if possible.

I suspect it's going to be a lot cheaper for my buddy to just buy a used Helicon or whatever, but I'm doing the due diligence anyway.

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

Wouldn't using a FX insert on a mixer with a pedal be the way to go?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

culturejam

Quote from: alanp on January 04, 2019, 10:09:40 AM

Maybe. Can you elaborate?  Do you mean run a guitar pedal in the effects loop of the mixer channel his vocal mic is plugged into?

jimilee

Quote from: culturejam on January 04, 2019, 10:17:17 AM

Maybe. Can you elaborate?  Do you mean run a guitar pedal in the effects loop of the mixer channel his vocal mic is plugged into?
That's about the size of it. Otherwise, you'd need a direct box type device, and then suddenly, you're adding up equipment to carry just for that one effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

Quote from: culturejam on January 04, 2019, 10:17:17 AM

if you can find (discontinued) or make one of these. I have one and they are great for many things. It's kind of like a mixer with a send like Alan is saying but much, much more. I heard there is a schematic floating around. I use it to properly use pedals with synths

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Keymaster--pigtronix-keymaster-true-bypass-fx-loop

bsoncini

I built a pedal for a friend based on the $5 preamp that Frederik from parasites studio posted. Can't find it at this moment. The parts cost more than $5 though. The 1na217 in the preamp costs about 5 bucks and the drv123 which converts from unbalanced to balanced also costs about 5 bucks.

Anyway. I took the output from the preamp and sent it to a bluesbreaker. Into send return Jack's. Then into a belton based reverb. After that so many people liked them I've built 5 for other people.

Works really good and is silent. Also added a dry out but most people have wanted one so that the sound guy has no control over their effects. So they just use xlr in and out.

culturejam

Quote from: bsoncini on January 04, 2019, 11:07:34 AM
I built a pedal for a friend based on the $5 preamp that Frederik from parasites studio posted. Can't find it at this moment. The parts cost more than $5 though. The 1na217 in the preamp costs about 5 bucks and the drv123 which converts from unbalanced to balanced also costs about 5 bucks.

Anyway. I took the output from the preamp and sent it to a bluesbreaker. Into send return Jack's. Then into a belton based reverb. After that so many people liked them I've built 5 for other people.

Works really good and is silent. Also added a dry out but most people have wanted one so that the sound guy has no control over their effects. So they just use xlr in and out.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

bsoncini

Quote from: culturejam on January 04, 2019, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: bsoncini on January 04, 2019, 11:07:34 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I'll find the link to the vero that he posted but am not at home right now. And add a pic of one of the builds I did.

Edit. Found the vero here. http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Microphone-preamp-vero-layout-td5181.html took the send after c4 and return was where that part of c4 was.

Also used a vero layout to do +/- 15v for the preamp/ balanced to unbalanced. And used 2 dpdt relays for the xlr switching on and off.

Looking crappy/diy as i/they like it

p_wats

I'd go with the pedal in the send/return of the mixer, but otherwise I also have one of these, which is great:

http://www.tributeaudiodesigns.com/shop/effect-integrator/

ryanisradd

I know its more stuff to carry around, but one of my band mates uses a Cusack Music Pedal Cracker on her pedal board and it's fantastic. Its like a foot controllable effects loop for interfacing pedals with a microphone signal. It does all the impedance matching for you and even has the option to add trails or even have the effect precede you turning it on, plus phantom power. It's super cool. She uses it with delay, reverb and distortion.

https://cusackmusic.com/products/pedal-cracker
Affiliations: I work for Chase Bliss Audio making things with lots of DIP switches.

jjjimi84

Just recently discovered this thing which is pretty kewl amd
Maybe of some use to you.

http://www.zorgeffects.com/index.php/en/products/blow-detail

culturejam

Aentons

Wow, is there a schematic for the pedal cracker? I'd love to try and build it or even just learn some of the concepts it puts into practice