News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

4:1 compressor shopping list question.

Started by Jay.lingelbach, January 09, 2019, 02:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay.lingelbach

It says 1n 100n and 200n. Is this nf? Searched and couldn't come up with an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

somnif

Quote from: Jay.lingelbach on January 09, 2019, 02:59:14 AM
It says 1n 100n and 200n. Is this nf? Searched and couldn't come up with an answer.

Correct, when talking about capacitors "n" means nF (nanofarad), "p" means pF (picofarad), and "u" or "m" mean uF (microfarad). You may also have to convert between them at times, like 0.01uF is the same as 10nF, or 3900pF is the same as 3.9nF.

Jay.lingelbach

Perfect. Much appreciated. Had never seen it just notated as an n!

Bassista

Hello,

I'm looking for some information about a couple of components, the 4:1 will be my first build, I've ordered the PCB and collecting the various parts

I've found a shop nearby my town and they will give me these diodes:
- 1N5819 (instead of 1N5817 indicated in the project)
- BAT43 (instead of BAT46)
...can I use them without issues?

I know that LEDs have different voltage basing on the colour: which is considered the "standard" for this pedal? RED? or can I use every colour?

Thanks for your help!
Fabio

Jay.lingelbach

I can't help you on the diode question, however you can use any led that you'd like.  The voltage matters mostly for how bright the led is, and what resistor should be used to keep it from self destructing. [emoji4]

You can find online calculators to help find what resistor you should use to choose the correct resistor. Hopefully that helps a bit!

Quote from: Bassista on March 02, 2019, 08:58:58 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for some information about a couple of components, the 4:1 will be my first build, I've ordered the PCB and collecting the various parts

I've found a shop nearby my town and they will give me these diodes:
- 1N5819 (instead of 1N5817 indicated in the project)
- BAT43 (instead of BAT46)
...can I use them without issues?

I know that LEDs have different voltage basing on the colour: which is considered the "standard" for this pedal? RED? or can I use every colour?

Thanks for your help!
Fabio

Bassista

Thanks for the LED info, I've checked the files and it seems that there's already a 4k7 resistor in the PCB.

For the other questions, I hope that the alternative diodes (1N5819 and BAT43) would be fine, otherwise I will have to order the proper ones online...

somnif

The forward voltage of the '43 (~0.3V) is a little higher than the '46 (~0.25V), so they may compress just a wee bit less. Given the variances in parts tolerances, I have no idea if it will be an audible difference, or any difference at all.

Bassista

Bassista

Hello,
I'm updating my build state:

I've soldered the pcb and found almost every component to finish the pedal, I just miss the pots and where I live, I can find only the Bourns PTV09 in LINEAR version: can I use them as linear, in all 3 positions for the 4:1 compressor or will I have issue in the knob's settings?

thanks for your help
Fabio