News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cupcake Short?

Started by das234, January 13, 2019, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

My son and I just finished boxing up a Cupcake.  It was his first pedal and I let him do much of the work.  It worked fine before boxing (I did not have the LED in then).  After boxing (and adding the LED to the PCB), when we plug it in, the LED is permanently on and it won't pass signal in either switch position.  I suspect we have a short somewhere but I'm not sure where. 

I don't see anything contacting the enclosure or any solder bridges.  I tested the 3PDT switch before we put it in (with a 3PDT PCB) and had continuity between rows 1 and 2 in one position and 2 and 3 in the other so I figured it was good but I still suspect it now.  Maybe we fried it soldering it in?  With everything wired up, what should I expect to get with the continuity meter on the switch lugs?

jimilee

There's a short to ground somewhere.  Give it a look over, post clear slide up pictures here if you can't find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

sonnyboy27

Double check that you haven't swapped any lugs on the jacks. I do that a lot.

Also, look at your switch wiring again and make sure you aren't sending something to ground all the time on accident.

das234

Thanks guys.  I did find two possible shorts.  One was a jack that might have been contacting the enclosure and the other was the pot that might also have been touching the enclosure.  I applied some electrical tape as insulation and that seemed to cure everything EXCEPT... the LED is still on all the time.  Any ideas there?  I soldered it directly on the Cupcake PCB and used a 3PDT PCB for switch wiring so it seems like it should be a no brainer.