News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Yodeler Workup

Started by jett1216, January 14, 2019, 04:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jett1216

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and was wondering if there will ever be a project guide for the VFE Yodeler? I was looking at superficial views of the guts of the pedal in comparison to the Springboard workup, and the only notable difference I see is the placement of the PT2399 in the Yodeler, where the TL2074 is normally present in the Springboard.

I figured I would try to learn how to build this pedal myself since it's quite rare to come across nowadays.

fair.child

I can put things together after my experience building the Yodeler for Mega Pedal. It does really nice verb and delays at once. It's my go-to pedal for playing Verb Clean Solo. Have you started populating your board yet?

Netnnk

Springboard is a Reverb with active EQ, Yodeler is a delay + reverb. Both use a Belton brick.
I built the Yodeler with some help from fair.child.

fair.child

Thanks for the kind word! One thing to be sure 2n7 Yodeler needs to be on the pot side. I highly recommend to do this on 125B if this is going to be your first Verb/Delay VFE project.

jett1216

That would be great if you could put stuff together for me to try to follow. Like I mentioned though, this is my first ever project. On that note, is it too ambitious to start off with? I have watched Peter's one hour video on YouTube on "how to build a VFE pedal." As long as I'm careful and go step by step, it's doable, right?

fair.child

It's doable. However, its a bit more complex to debug if you miss something during the build. Like I mentioned, finish with 125B rather than 1590B. That's my advice. It's very tight build if you're going to do 1590B. Your drilling needs to be precise, your pots placement and BTDR3 also needs to be placed well.

jett1216

I see. So will there be tonal or functional differences if I built it on the wider board or is it just better to go with the 125B despite the original specs being built on the 1590B?

fair.child

Tonal difference depends on your components, cabling, soldering skills, and planning. Trust me, it takes a lot of common practices and theory to make things work, aesthetic and functional.

I don't mean to scare you but if I can suggest, do a careful planning. Know what you're going to do next would be great start.

125B or 1590B is just the matter of exterior. Interior wise, it's up to you for placing the components. 125B will give you enough room for small mistakes for drilling and give you the idea how tight the pedal clearance and so on.

jett1216

I see, and I don't have a problem planning carefully. I don't want to rush it and make major mistakes. So should I first purchase the Springboard kit then? And at least the Belton brick and PT2399? I don't know what other components to purchase past that though since I know there's obvious differences between the Springboard and Yodeler