News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mini Clari(not)

Started by pickdropper, January 15, 2019, 06:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Somebody on TGP asked me if I'd do a mini version of the Clari(not) as their original got squeezed off the board.  In a moment of weakness, I agreed.  The board layout was fairly straightforward, but the hardware was a tight fit, especially since he wanted a fuzz bypass switch added. 

I ended up trying a few different LED/LDR and Vactrol combinations.  The first one was a simple 3mm LED and LDR

I ended up swapping it out for a Macron VTL5C3 type.

All in all, an interesting build.  Funky circuit.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Tremster

Another winner from Pickdropper.

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

destro

Wowzers. That's incredible. I do customs and one-offs for very reasonable prices for folks, but would love to build the skills to do something of this magnitude.

mjcyates

Well obviously the vactrol with the blue dot is way better as it matches your color scheme :)

Leevibe

The layout and fit of this is exquisite. What you call a straightforward layout I call me sitting there for endless hours and still not being able to solve the puzzle without tons of vias. What you do is mind boggling.

DLW

Pinnacle of pedal recreation here. Jaw dropping.

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on January 16, 2019, 10:02:00 AM
The layout and fit of this is exquisite. What you call a straightforward layout I call me sitting there for endless hours and still not being able to solve the puzzle without tons of vias. What you do is mind boggling.

Thanks Lee.  TBH, even a straightforward layout takes me hours.  I'm not exactly speedy with my layouts.  This one went together without too much difficulty, at least.  That's not always the case.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chongmagic

This looks extremely nice, great job as always. I love the enclosure design, very badass overall!

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on January 17, 2019, 05:22:43 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on January 16, 2019, 10:02:00 AM

Thanks Lee.  TBH, even a straightforward layout takes me hours.  I'm not exactly speedy with my layouts.  This one went together without too much difficulty, at least.  That's not always the case.

That makes me feel better. :)  I think part of it is that I don't use Eagle often enough. I find myself having to relearn things like how to do ground planes and simple stuff like, how did I do solder pads last time? etc. I have done some decent layouts but when I see the stuff guys like you, Brian, Jon W can do I realize there's a level of talent that I don't possess. And I'm cool with it.

oip

absolutely stunning job!  this is a really great circuit

jjjimi84

Your builds are always so badass and clean, great job!

Aleph Null

This is such an underrated circuit. I'm glad to see it's getting some love. Your build is immaculately executed inside and out! Why did you end up going with the Macron?

dan.schumaker

Looks good!  Seeing this made me finally box up the Clari(not) I had made for 1590A.  I put the fuzz switch on a DIP on mine and put the vol on a pot.
1904 Sideshow by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr