News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

labelling on a dark background

Started by MarkL, January 15, 2019, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkL

For the first time, I've painted an enclosure a dark color (deep metallic blue).  I've used waterslide decals efftctively in the past but only on lighter backgrounds, and only with black lettering.  I use laser printer stock from Small Bear, but my printer is only B&W.  I'd really like to use a bright purple or orange on this background and have it stand out -- can anybody suggest how I can do that?  Is there a resource you use or know about that could help create a logo for me that could slide onto the enclosure the same way but with bright colors?

madbean

An idea:

Print on color paper and laminate it. Then spray adhesive the back, affix to a drilled enclosure, put a heavy book on it while it dries. Then cut out the holes with an Xacto knife. Finish with spray clear.

matmosphere

You could see if a copy shop could print color on the water slide paper for you.

I use a method where I print on transparency, it works great for full color graphics but doesn't look good with just text.

davent

I've hand lettered with white paint - you could then go over that with a transparent colour.

I've cut stencils from frisket film and again white lettering on black.

I've done a black decal for a black enclosure, cut a stencil, a slightly bigger outline of the lettering then used the stencil to spray a white spot on the enclosure for the decal to be set on.

stencil and hand lettering

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.msg171853#msg171853

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jimilee

I use water slide with a white background rather than clear. Colors pop more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Quote from: davent on January 15, 2019, 05:15:30 PM
I've hand lettered with white paint - you could then go over that with a transparent colour.

I've cut stencils from frisket film and again white lettering on black.

I've done a black decal for a black enclosure, cut a stencil, a slightly bigger outline of the lettering then used the stencil to spray a white spot on the enclosure for the decal to be set on.

stencil and hand lettering

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.msg171853#msg171853

dave

Don't wanna revive a necropsy thread, but HOLY CRAP!!!!! That's amazing, Dave you are a total badass.

Aentons

Anybody use a Cricut?

...was thinking about getting one to try it out. I have a friend that uses it for doing stylized initial lettering on stainless mugs.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Aentons on January 15, 2019, 06:02:44 PM
Anybody use a Cricut?

...was thinking about getting one to try it out. I have a friend that uses it for doing stylized initial lettering on stainless mugs.

I have a Cricut (or more accurately Mrs. Schutone does), that I have been trying to use for pedal purposes since she got it a few years ago.  I think I finally figured out a good way to use it for my nefarious purposes.

My most recent way of doing pedal enclosures has been to use self-adhesive printable vinyl for the art:
https://www.amazon.com/Cricut-Printable-Vinyl-for-Die-Cuts/dp/B00NMCU9ZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547604821&sr=8-3&keywords=printable+vinyl

And over that, I overlay a clear vinyl laminate:
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Vinyl-Self-Adhesive-Laminate-Roll/dp/B0759SV64G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547604890&sr=8-3&keywords=clear+vinyl+laminate

There was a little learning curve in how to layout the images to cut best, and even more learning in how to best put the vinyl on without wrinkles. But I am really happy with how it turns out.  I find that it is even easier than sticker paper and having to clear coat, and it looks way more professional.

Here are the last two pedals I did using this method (my BOTY entry, the Magnetosphere, uses this as well)
20190111_075929 by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr
20190111_075850 by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Bio77

+1 on the white waterslide.  Color matching might be tricky.  I usually do this on a black enclosure.  With a couple coats of clear coat it looks painted on.

kennie.reresby

@dan.schumaker is she happy with the Cricut machine? Would she recommend it to a beginner?

read it on this site

kennie.reresby

sorry for double posting i accidentally hit the post button, please disregard my previous post

@dan.schumaker is she happy with the Cricut machine? Would she recommend it to a beginner?

I'm looking for a good electric cutter machine. There are so many on the market that it's hard to choose. This is why I'm on the fence. And I'm looking for some advice.

How good is the Cricut is it better than the Cameo? I've been searching the net but besides hype and trash I didn't find a good enough review.

Just the other day I've found this site. Boy I was surprised by it. Have you seen a hatchet job? Are the claims true?

Does Cricut have a horrible tech support and the if you have no internet it's useless?

Any tips will highly appreciated.

Willybomb

I use get my stuff laser printed onto Datapol sticker paper.  It's basically water/chemical/everything proof.  If I manage to get it on straight, I hit it with a couple of clearcoats of Upol or Spraymax 1k and I'm done.

https://everylabels.com.au/datapol-synthetic-white-labels

Caedarn

Re the Cricut Explore machine:  I've used one to make vinyl decals and labels for pedals. I think it's very good.  Here's a couple things to know.
- I do believe you need internet access. The user interface is like a browser plug in, and it seems to want you to log in every time
- Operation is a little confusing at first, but it's really easy to use.
- It does NOT print - only cuts
- The cutting head works very well and cuts cleanly.
- Don't try and print then cut an intricate outline of that printed object. The registration isn't that tight.  Printing then cutting works well for simpler outlines, or cases where you won't really notic if the cut doesn't exactly correspond to the border of the printed object
- I wouldn't use it to cut out rectangular pedal decals.  I use an exacto knife then a radius punch on the corners.

Hope this helps.

SirEgno

I made only one pedal with white graphic on black background, and it was hard.
I first painted the enclosure with white, then covered the "graphic" part and painted the black. then printed on adhesive clear paper.

It is the cheaper method, I think.

gordo

Ummm, what's a "radius punch"?  One of the more annoying things about white decals is getting a clean edge on the corners.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?