News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shaving

Started by alanp, January 15, 2019, 08:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

This week, I've been thinking about dumping my Gillette Mach 3 razor that I've used for a couple decades now, and trying something different.

One option that I considered and then disconsidered equally fast was a straight razor (cut-throat.) I can sharpen knives, but razors I'm not so sure of. Plus they're a bit spendy.

The other one I'm thinking of is the "Safety Razor", the oldfashioned kind that take those disposable double-sided razor blades. I'm leaning towards this.

Also, how important is this lather brush business? With the Mach3 cartridge razor, all I do is slap foam on my face and shave.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

EBK

You wouldn't happen to be ditching Gillette over their new ad campaign against toxic masculinity, would you?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

It's part of it. I don't like being preached at, especially by a company who is out there purely to make money selling me things.

But I've also been thinking about this for a few years, in a back-burner kind of way.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 15, 2019, 08:46:33 PM
Just grow a beard.

Yup! Men should have beards. Women, not so much.

I saw that ad, too. I thought it was a mostly positive message but in a completey inappropriate format. Companies exploiting social engineeering in order to sell unrelated products is really distasteful, IMO.

somnif

I use a cheapo Wahl electric trimmer. Yeah I'm not "smooth" but screw it, my weak chin works better with some stubble anyway.

Really wish I could grow a decent beard, only dude in my family who can't far as I can tell. Goatee comes in fine but the rest just stays patchy and sparse with a real "I live in my parents basement eating pizza and pirating video games" neckbeard look to it.

Aristatertotle

I use a safety razor for my neck and to clean up the edges of my beard, it's nice. I like it a lot more solely for the reason that it's super easy to unclog. I always bog down disposables, and with the safety razor you can loosen the top to rinse hairs out from under the blade very easily.

The brush is very nice. You can get away with using foam still, but using the brush to lather up shaving soap in warm water and applying it is a nice experience. It's like nice little massage for your face. Also, they say it helps get a smoother shave.

sonnyboy27

When in doubt...there's a subreddit for everything Reddit | Wicked Edge

Apparently it's a pretty sweet resource for shaving with single/double edged razors. It's been recommended to me by a few folks.

As far as lather goes, the verdict seems to be that shaving in the shower is the best way to go and you don't need lather that way. It's just nice. But if you're out of the shower then you want a little layer of something between your metal and flesh.

All of my knowledge is purely academic though. So YMMV.

Leevibe

DE safety razor, a good shaving brush and some good shaving soap. It's a bit spendy to get into but you can get a way more comfortable shave and cost over time is super cheap. I spend $9 for a box of 100 Astra SP blades. That will last me for around 2 years. I bought my razor and brush 5 or 6 years ago and they are like new. That was probably around $100 total. My favorite shave soap is $16 a tub and that lasts 3 or 4 months. I think you're old school with most stuff, Alan. You'd dig it.

I didn't know about the Gillette video but I just watched it. I think it's a good message. I don't know their motives but they are a business. At least they're brave enough to say "Look at how bad we used to suck with our misogynistic old ads. Let's move on." On the other hand, it's pretty distasteful when businesses jump on the "we're going green" or "we support all lifestyles" bandwagons just because of fiscal expedience. Don't know in this case.

davent

If i recall correctly I think Leevibe was one of the people responsible for pushing me down the DE safety razor rabbit hole in the late summer of 2014, there is a thread.

People spend insane amounts on soaps and brushes, new razors, vintage razors, after shaves colognes and stuff and stuff and stuff for their shave dens, just crazy. Don't believe the hype.

Then there are those like Leevibe, i'd like to think i'm in that corner.

I've been using the same DE razor continuously since Christmas of 2014 -$50 cdn, i've a sampling of three brushes, that cost, $5, $23, & $15 for a synthetic, the one i use almost all the time. The blades i'm using at the moment, Polsilver, today was shave #35 for this particular blade, (you must keep track of these things)  thats a three pass shave because i single pass ain't gonna do it.  Can't stand the smelly stuff so at the moment have a three tubs of locally available, probably world wide, barely scented soaps and creams, (beware the internet).

Used the same Trac II for almost 40 years and the shaves always sucked, the DE does it better but for me takes far longer seeing as it takes three passes to get the results, a single pass with the DE sucks too.

I'll keep going with the DE until blades are no longer available, it's just such a way cooler tool then a piece of molded plastic, has some heft to it like a real tool.

dave

To view the insanity, and you've been warned - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/ - I do still cook there...

Big thread there mostly lambasting the Gillette ad, not surprised and haven't even seen the ad. Is the ad actually popping up on shows and things people are watching on TV haven't been able to ascertain that from the comments there.

pss. Just had a look at said thread ... the other side started to speak and the thread was locked, all very civil and gentlemanly.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

jkokura

I use a Philips One Blade to trim my neck. I have a full-time beard, but the One Blade will give me a relatively good neck shave and also will trim my beard. It's a heck of a design. Battery charge lasts me approximately 6-8 months on a once a week schedule.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

flanagan0718

That Gillette garbage is just that. I use a single blade "safety" razor. I actually think it is the only with the guy from Pawn Stars on it. I use single blades that cost less than $4 for a pack of 5.

I was talking to a friend a while ago and asked what he uses to shave his neck and face. I always got razor burn and needed to change something. He asked what I used, it was a cheap Gillette razor. He then said to me "would you rather shave you face with a plastic toy or a real razor". That was the selling point. Total investment was $20 for the handle and $5 for blades that last quite some time if you clean them with baby oil.

I don't use fancy shave cream or brushes. Just regular shave foam and after shave. After using this for 2 years now I haven't had razor burn once! My razor handle is nothing special but I can't believe I used anything else.

So I ask you: are you going to continue to shave your face with a plastic toy, or get a real razor?! Jk, but seriously it's worth the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davent

Gillette does have bunch of very good blades made at various parts of the globe, some of my favorites along with the Polsilver.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

Quote from: davent on January 16, 2019, 03:11:51 PM
Gillette does have bunch of very good blades made at various parts of the globe, some of my favorites along with the Polsilver.
dave

I'm sure they do and their single blades are quite nice. I switched because my neck hair grows in swirls and is impossible. In the end use what works and is comfortable. I just applied my friends question because it seemed fitting. If a plastic or Gillette razor works for you, power to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diablochris6

I don't grow enough facial hair to even really comment on this, but I always liked my Gillette Sensor 2 blade until it was more difficult to find blades off the rack, so I just bought the 3 blade version instead. I've thought about the safety razor route, but I don't really see a need for an investment where the blades will rust out before I get them too dull.

I also agree with shaving in the shower. I use a Neutrogena shaving cream that doesn't foam up and shave by feel. No messy sink!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here