News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TSV808

Started by Aentons, January 26, 2019, 06:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Well just have a look in the build reports section around here and there's similar, better and more inventive stuff to be seen...
Just sayin...
BigNoise Amplification

pickdropper

Quote from: Stomptown on January 26, 2019, 05:02:31 PM
Quote from: somnif on January 26, 2019, 04:58:29 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 26, 2019, 04:51:40 PM
I'm guessing the socket is for power, especially since there is a + and - nearby.

That was my initial guess, but shots of the pedal show power is from a normal barrel connector parallel to the two trims, so I'm guessing its board mounted under the pot (next to the two chubby electrolytics). Can't find any shots of the board in its enclosure though, so no idea for certain.

It's probably for the battery snap.

Ah yes, very possible.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

reddesert

Quote from: Aentons on January 26, 2019, 06:42:48 AM
Hmm, Looks like it's bufferless. Wont that detract from some of the 808'ness

"The TSV808 employs a refined version of the original Tube Screamer circuit: Instead of four stages like the Tube Screamer (buffer -> overdrive -> tone -> buffer), the TSV808 contains three stages (overdrive -> tone -> +7dB gain boost). The end result is an ultra-smooth drive that retains the Tube Screamer's trademark mid bump; however, it opens it up with the full-range clarity of the Jan Ray."

Bufferless TS -> Son of Screamer and Hermida Zendrive family of circuits.

lars

I think this is just a rehoused Shanks ODS-1. It even has the Bass and Saturation trim controls in the same spot. The idea they've melded two pedals into a new creation is marketing BS. And the brass enclosure is just gimmicky. A standard aluminum enclosure works better at reducing EMI.
Now if it was a copper enclosure that was naturally oxidized to green...that would be cool.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

somnif

Quote from: lars on January 31, 2019, 10:58:20 PM
I think this is just a rehoused Shanks ODS-1. It even has the Bass and Saturation trim controls in the same spot. The idea they've melded two pedals into a new creation is marketing BS. And the brass enclosure is just gimmicky. A standard aluminum enclosure works better at reducing EMI.
Now if it was a copper enclosure that was naturally oxidized to green...that would be cool.

Don't think its an ODS-1, that board looks completely different (its got like 12 TO-92 transistors on it) - https://www.instagram.com/p/Blw9HD4F8qd/

From the pictures I can see of the board, I'm half convinced its just a straight up bufferless tubescreamer, with a bit of tweakability to the tone section, a silver mica cap on the first opamp to give it that Timmy Jan Ray look to it, and an extra pair of diodes to switch around with.   

Granted havent seen a trace side pic or anything hi res enough to pick out component values. No idea what the "+7 db of gain boost" the description mentions is on about. Maybe tweaked the feedback resistor in the tone op-amp to heat up the gain a little? Could explain the random Dale resistor in there if they used an oddball value for cork sniffer purposes I suppose.

somnif

So, even though they have a lovely, legible, picture of the populated board posted publicly on their webpage, Vemuram decided they needed to goop the diodes (gotta hide the shame of those 1N4148s I guess?) and Dale resistor, and sand the caps for it when they showed it off at NAMM.

Thats... odd.

pickdropper

Quote from: somnif on January 31, 2019, 11:27:04 PM
So, even though they have a lovely, legible, picture of the populated board posted publicly on their webpage, Vemuram decided they needed to goop the diodes (gotta hide the shame of those 1N4148s I guess?) and Dale resistor, and sand the caps for it when they showed it off at NAMM.

Thats... odd.

It's funny because Vemuram doesn't need to hide that this one is a clone.  ;-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

lars

Quote from: somnif on January 31, 2019, 11:17:00 PM
I think this is just a rehoused Shanks ODS-1. It even has the Bass and Saturation trim controls in the same spot.
Don't think its an ODS-1, that board looks completely different (its got like 12 TO-92 transistors on it) - https://www.instagram.com/p/Blw9HD4F8qd/
I looked at the link for that Instagram "ODS-1" board pic, and that is not an ODS-1. The ODS-1 has two trim pot controls for Bass and Saturation at the top of the pcb. The board pictured only has one trim pot provision at the top, so it is some other pedal made by Vemuram (which many of their pedals only have one trim control on the top).
Does someone have a gutshot of an actual ODS-1?
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

somnif

Quote from: lars on February 01, 2019, 08:24:23 AM
Quote from: somnif on January 31, 2019, 11:17:00 PM
I think this is just a rehoused Shanks ODS-1. It even has the Bass and Saturation trim controls in the same spot.
I looked at the link for that Instagram "ODS-1" board pic, and that is not an ODS-1. The ODS-1 has two trim pot controls for Bass and Saturation at the top of the pcb. The board pictured only has one trim pot provision at the top, so it is some other pedal made by Vemuram (which many of their pedals only have one trim control on the top).
Does someone have a gutshot of an actual ODS-1?

So apparently that board is a Prototype? (He has several pics of him working on the thing with John Shanks - https://www.instagram.com/p/BjyipRmFoFE ).  Given the name, the player, and the "Inspired by" label on their page I had expected it to be a straight clone of the Nobels ODR-1 (the "early white label" as they say), but that doesn't match the circuit very well either.

Not entirely sure I'm afraid.

cooder

I'm sure the goop will make it sound better...  ;D and the caps are just drenched in mustard which etched the markings away.
Things you do for toan...
BigNoise Amplification