News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Disappointed by the modern flangers

Started by pietro_moog, February 03, 2019, 03:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

I'm very disappointed by modern flangers.
I built the Mxr and Ehx projects, i bought a MXR reissue, and some digital ones: no one of them sounds appealing to me.
I hear the demos of the old flangers on YT, the ones with SAD1024, and they sound glorious!
The modern ones are just glorified chorus to me.
Digital just doesn't do it for me.

I just hope somebody will remake the SAD BBDs

(i don't know why i wrote this post, i'm just sad after playing )

czapa tranzystor 2

I like my copy Gaussmarkov Ehx electric mistress with Reticon Sad,
the sound is floating,A/DA Flanger MN3007 is very good but in compared with Flanger with Sad1024
it sounds stiff.

I am looking Pcb for A/DA flanger with Reticon

Muadzin

I wouldn't exactly call the MXR and EHX flangers modern. They're from what? The early 80's? That makes the designs older then probably most members here. They do have the same BBD MN3007 chip though that's in all analog chorus pedals. But to me they sound fine. Too bad I can't seem to build a working flanger. All my flanger builds seem to end up on my fail pile.

somnif

Quote from: czapa tranzystor 2 on February 04, 2019, 06:57:02 AM
I am looking Pcb for A/DA flanger with Reticon

Moosapotamus used to have an A/DA based around the reticon, though he swapped over the mn3007 after a while. May still be a few floating around.

Bigger problem is IF you can find a working sad1024 you're probably gonna be paying ~100$ for the chip alone.

juansolo

I'm a big fan of the Ibanez FL-9 re-issue. Toyed with tracing it, but you can pick them up for buttons so ultimately didn't see the point.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

pietro_moog

I think it will be similar to the Boss BF-2

PMowdes2

DeadEndFX

alanp

Quote from: somnif on February 05, 2019, 12:43:21 AM
Bigger problem is IF you can find a working sad1024 you're probably gonna be paying ~100$ for the chip alone.

Bingo.

I would say, forget about RETICON based flanging completely, until Xvive, CoolAudio, or Alfa Rpar reissue the SAD chips.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

lars

Quote from: pietro_moog on February 03, 2019, 03:00:45 PM
I've been saying this about flangers for years. Eventide had it right way back in 1976, and in the user manual for the Instant Flanger FL-201 they stated,  "As a practical matter, useful flanging occurs in the delay range of 50 microseconds to about 5 milliseconds..."
I'm running an MN3006 in my Current Lover, and guess what? It actually sounds like a flanger because it's normal operating delay range is exactly within the range stated by Eventide. IMHO, the MN3006 is the best BBD ever made to use for flanging. It has way lower noise than an SAD1024, and does not require a buffer or over-clocking like an MN3007. I think it got a bad rap because the Panasonic spec sheet calls it an "Economy type" BBD. People wanted the MN3007 because it was always touted as "Low-noise (expensive type)", but the MN3006 is a 100% better choice for flanging applications. But as a warning, the MN3006 does not do chorus sounds....but we're not looking for another chorus-sounding flanger, are we?
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

gordo

I think part of the SAD magic was the noise though.  I have an old BF-2 but really wanted an A/DA.  The Reticon chip produced this thick nasty sound and while it was a pain in the studio it drove an amp nuts in a live situation.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

pietro_moog

I have a mn3006. It flanges, but like you said, it does nothing more.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: lars on February 05, 2019, 03:04:35 PM
Quote from: pietro_moog on February 03, 2019, 03:00:45 PM
I've been saying this about flangers for years. Eventide had it right way back in 1976, and in the user manual for the Instant Flanger FL-201 they stated,  "As a practical matter, useful flanging occurs in the delay range of 50 microseconds to about 5 milliseconds..."
I'm running an MN3006 in my Current Lover, and guess what? It actually sounds like a flanger because it's normal operating delay range is exactly within the range stated by Eventide. IMHO, the MN3006 is the best BBD ever made to use for flanging. It has way lower noise than an SAD1024, and does not require a buffer or over-clocking like an MN3007. I think it got a bad rap because the Panasonic spec sheet calls it an "Economy type" BBD. People wanted the MN3007 because it was always touted as "Low-noise (expensive type)", but the MN3006 is a 100% better choice for flanging applications. But as a warning, the MN3006 does not do chorus sounds....but we're not looking for another chorus-sounding flanger, are we?

If you have a couple of SAD1024's like I do can I just swap out the MN3007 or do some other tweaks have to be made? How about the MN3006 as well? Can I just swap it out for one without additional tweaks?
John

peAk

As far as DIY flanges, I really dig the Lectric Flintlock Flanger

I can dial in just about any flange tone I could possibly ever want. I meant to do a demo on the thing years ago but never got around to finishing it.

pietro_moog

This might sound naive (and dumb) but this, i like it
I wish there was a pcb, because the original is not true bypass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u92Vk7FrqS8&list=RDMMu92Vk7FrqS8&start_radio=1

gordo

Sounds very much like a Boss BF-2.  It also uses an MN3007.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?