News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hi, my name is Lee and I'm an Arrow abuser

Started by Leevibe, February 12, 2019, 03:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: lars on February 12, 2019, 04:27:34 PM
This appears to be a case of "inability to change established process".
It's an epidemic affecting all parts of the world in all industries because everything is so automated that it's actually way more expensive and difficult to change something than just leave it as it is.
If they were to suddenly add some new box sizes....disaster...complete and utter chaos. Employee's would be glitching out, unable to figure out what parts fit in what boxes. Orders would get messed up. Then the countless hours of board meetings discussing when the next board meeting is to discuss when they will actually discuss discussing the box change issue.
It's not that a problem isn't recognized, or that nobody wants to fix it...it's that they simply are unable. The machine is running and nobody knows how to turn it off. Plus, that department that handles box ordering was "restructured" 5 years ago and nobody quite knows who's responsibility it is to implement change.
Fill out this form and place directly in toilet.

That's possible, but I was amazed at how little automation went on in Mouser's pick and pack department.  It may have changed in the past few years, but it relied heavily on people back then.

Based on the degree of variability in the packaging at Arrow, I suspect they have a significant human element at play there as well.  It doesn't make change easier, but ultimately businesses need to find ways to streamline their efficiency or the bottom line will suffer.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Bio77

I try to check my order to assure that its all shipping the same time/location (trying to cut down on the number of boxes) but I've never got less than two boxes.  They sent me a survey and I had it all filled it out suggesting they offer a consolidated shipping option (I'd even be willing to wait more than 24h!), but I didn't send it for Lee's reasoning.  I don't think they'll be able to keep this up for much longer, $20 in parts sent in 4 FedEx overnight packages!  Maybe the CEO is an ex-silicon valley tech guy.  If not it's a weird business model.

m-Kresol

just fyi for other european customers: while they have european websites they ship from the US (I was under the impression it was in the UK too). Using FedEX as it was free and faster than DHL, I got seriously hit by import taxes. They (FedEX) charge a flat-rate just for up-fronting the actual import tax. I only needed a few SMD components and put some leaded solder in there too, overall prize around 20€, got the same amount in taxes on top and it was a pain to get delivered. They don't have any partner shops to pick up and without a car this was near impossible. I rerouted it to my parents 600 km away as they didnt want to keep it in storage for 2 weeks. I guess this is more about fedex than arrow, but I hate the way they package. Even the solder was in a ESD bag. also came in a separate box (sent from the same storage facility the same day) just way too much waste...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

EBK

First day orientation for a new packaging/shipping employee at Arrow:

Now, remember, we pack many different kinds of items here for shipping to our customers. 

If a plush toy comes down the conveyor belt, you can simply throw it in the box and tape it up. 

If a non-perishable food item comes down the conveyor belt, it goes into a plastic bag before it goes into the box.  Household cleaners are handled similarly, but double bag those and keep them separate from any food.

You might occasionally see some small electronics parts come down the conveyor belt.  Some of those are extremely sensitive to static, some of them are very fragile, and some of them are potentially dangerous.  You can look up the proper handling of each item in this large book, but the conveyor belt will keep moving while you do.  When in doubt, treat anything electronics-related as if it is static-sensitive, fragile, AND dangerous. 

Any questions?  No? Good luck.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leevibe

Everything you guys are saying is probably true. Yet I just put in another order. Dang. It's hard not to.

mjg

I thought I'd try Arrow for the first time last week.  They had some LED displays that I needed for a good price. 

Ordered on Friday.  On Saturday I got 4 different notifications and tracking numbers, so they've split it into four boxes.  On Monday I have a missed delivery slip at my front door for the first box. 

I'm in Australia btw.   

How is this even possible for them to get a box from the USA to Australia over a weekend, let alone make money off a $1 part, in a box by itself, shipped for free from the USA to Australia? 

pickdropper

Quote from: mjg on February 25, 2019, 06:48:05 AM
I thought I'd try Arrow for the first time last week.  They had some LED displays that I needed for a good price. 

Ordered on Friday.  On Saturday I got 4 different notifications and tracking numbers, so they've split it into four boxes.  On Monday I have a missed delivery slip at my front door for the first box. 

I'm in Australia btw.   

How is this even possible for them to get a box from the USA to Australia over a weekend, let alone make money off a $1 part, in a box by itself, shipped for free from the USA to Australia?

They lose money on every sale, but they make it up in volume.
Function f(x)

mjg

The four boxes arrived today - the courier did three trips from the depot.   :o

This many parts:

Came in 4 boxes, with 10 metres of packing paper scrunched up, a bunch of plastic, 18 pages of invoices, 7 stickers for packing, 7 anti-static bags, 4 smaller boxes-inside-boxes, 2 x 20cm anti-static chip holders, and some bubble wrap.

My 'favourite' part - these two mosfets, which each came in their own plastic strip that would hold 20 or so mosfets, and then each in an anti-static bag of A4 size. 

I have to admit, I was expecting excessive, but this is... yeah.  Excessive. 

Willybomb

pickdropper

Quote from: mjg on February 26, 2019, 08:39:20 AM
The four boxes arrived today - the courier did three trips from the depot.   :o

This many parts:

Came in 4 boxes, with 10 metres of packing paper scrunched up, a bunch of plastic, 18 pages of invoices, 7 stickers for packing, 7 anti-static bags, 4 smaller boxes-inside-boxes, 2 x 20cm anti-static chip holders, and some bubble wrap.

My 'favourite' part - these two mosfets, which each came in their own plastic strip that would hold 20 or so mosfets, and then each in an anti-static bag of A4 size. 

I have to admit, I was expecting excessive, but this is... yeah.  Excessive.

This is a great summary of the Arrow experience.
Function f(x)

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

Yahoo67

If youre canadian they charge you 25$ custom fee per boxe...

Leevibe

I'm still going to use them. I use Amazon prime too. It's a similar experience. Drone delivery is going to be even better!

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on February 26, 2019, 11:33:49 PM
I'm still going to use them. I use Amazon prime too. It's a similar experience. Drone delivery is going to be even better!

That's going to be a lot of drones.  I wonder if they'll play Ride of the Valkyries with every delivery.
Function f(x)

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on February 26, 2019, 11:42:49 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on February 26, 2019, 11:33:49 PM

That's going to be a lot of drones.  I wonder if they'll play Ride of the Valkyries with every delivery.

I think out where I live there could be a lot of this...