News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TurboFlange (Dead End FX Flange-A-Rama)

Started by Invertiguy, February 12, 2019, 06:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invertiguy

Quote from: chongmagic on February 13, 2019, 07:30:50 PM
Looks good, I am thinking of trying the No Name Flanger from their site.

What did you use for shielded wiring?

Nice, I actually picked up a board for one as soon as they became available. Like I said, I love weird flangers! I'll get around to actually building it one of these days...

And as Govmnt_Lacky surmised, it's just RG-174 from Small Bear. It works well enough for my purposes, and is reasonably flexible as well, which I like.
Doomsday Devices

chongmagic

Quote from: Invertiguy on February 14, 2019, 06:16:18 AM
Quote from: chongmagic on February 13, 2019, 07:30:50 PM
Looks good, I am thinking of trying the No Name Flanger from their site.

What did you use for shielded wiring?

Nice, I actually picked up a board for one as soon as they became available. Like I said, I love weird flangers! I'll get around to actually building it one of these days...

And as Govmnt_Lacky surmised, it's just RG-174 from Small Bear. It works well enough for my purposes, and is reasonably flexible as well, which I like.

My main concern is drilling the holes for the phone jacks, there are a ton of them.

Invertiguy

Quote from: chongmagic on February 14, 2019, 02:10:06 PM
My main concern is drilling the holes for the phone jacks, there are a ton of them.

Yeah, drilling's definitely gonna be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're doing it all with a hand drill like I likely will be (don't really have space for a drill press right now). I'm thinking of using Sketchup to model it all first just so there won't be any surprises this time around, given the lack of any real drill template for it. It's definitely gonna be a tricky build!
Doomsday Devices

somnif

Quote from: Invertiguy on February 15, 2019, 01:57:17 AM
Yeah, drilling's definitely gonna be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're doing it all with a hand drill like I likely will be (don't really have space for a drill press right now). I'm thinking of using Sketchup to model it all first just so there won't be any surprises this time around, given the lack of any real drill template for it. It's definitely gonna be a tricky build!

See if your town has a Makerspace with publicly available tools. Its how I managed to start making decent enclosures.

chongmagic

If you get a template I would be interested. I have a drill press and it still gives me the shakes. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

soundscape

Hi there, thanks for the post. Nice work.  I'm starting on one of these and this gives me a good idea of what I'm in for!

Going through the parts list, I have not been able to locate any info on REG1 - JMC2930L08.  On your build, it looks like you used a TO-92 type regulator, but the only part I find that is close is an LM2930T-8.0, which has a TO-220-3 package. I'll really appreciate if you can point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

PMowdes2

DeadEndFX

soundscape

Thanks for your quick response.  Since it's just an 8 volt regulator, is an L78L08 worth a try since I have some on hand?  Thanks!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: soundscape on July 29, 2019, 02:14:17 PM
Thanks for your quick response.  Since it's just an 8 volt regulator, is an L78L08 worth a try since I have some on hand?  Thanks!

You can try those however, keep in mind that the reason the TL750 was used was because it is an LDO (Low Drop Out) regulator. It ensures that the voltage drop is minimal. If you use a typical L7808 and run the pedal at 9VDC you could be looking at a Vcc as low as 6VDC.

soundscape

Got it!  Thanks so much for your help.  I'll try to get my hands on some TL750's or use a 12v power supply.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: soundscape on July 29, 2019, 05:22:31 PM
Got it!  Thanks so much for your help.  I'll try to get my hands on some TL750's or use a 12v power supply.

I don't know if a 12V PS is the way to go either. My recommendation is to source the TL750 and use it  ;)

RDL68

If it helps anyone out, when I built mine last year I sourced that 2930L08 part from here:

https://www.transistorthyristor.com/circuits?search=NJM2930L08

It arrived safe, new & worked perfect.

soundscape

Thanks so much for the lead.  While sourcing the TL750, I also found some of the NJM2930 at UT Source and they were quite a bit less expensive so I ordered some of each.  https://www.utsource.net/sch/NJM2930L08

BTW, to round up the order for freight requirements, I ordered a few MN3007 there. Probably recycled pulls, but they arrived in good condition and are working well.

RDL68

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It'd be difficult finding many better flange circuits than this excellent one.

I had a lot of trouble getting that part last year. Nowhere had it & asking my usual suppliers what to use for a substitute resulted in days of waiting for useless responses.
I knew from other vintage parts that the "JRC" prefix is often replaced with "NJM" in modern batches, so I was at least able to track down the part that way.
It got to the point where I knew it was just a dime a dozen part but it was becoming more time consuming than it was worth so I just paid what "transistorthyristor.com" asked for to get it over with.

If Phil/Dino or GovtLacky confirm that the TL750L08 is fine as a substitute, it's best to get whatever you can locally for a coin rather than paying overs. It's just a power section part, not in the audio path, so it makes no difference to tone.

As for me, I finally got around to finishing Phil & Dino's Lovetone ? Flange the other day. I just have to go over it to check the wiring & for any shorts before powering up & doing the calibration. I've been hesitant to do it because it would be a beast to troubleshoot if something is wrong. Hopefully it'll be fine. When I did the Doppleganger a couple of years ago it worked first go but the Flange is more complex so I'm nervous...

soundscape

I'm glad I wasn't the only one having trouble locating the part.  I build lots of pedals, but usually manage to source replacements.  This one had me stumped so I really appreciate the help of everyone who came to the rescue!

I'm on a Lovetone binge so I'm working on a Meatball now.  I'm planning the Flange-A-Rama next because I could not find a board for a Lovetone ? Flange. Did you etch your own?