News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two Spring Reverbs Tanks controlled with a DPDT?

Started by peAk, February 12, 2019, 08:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peAk

I built a tube spring reverb a couple of years ago and built it with a long decay 3 spring Mod tank. I recently ordered a 2 spring Accusonics tank that sounds quite a bit different. I was thinking it would be cool to have both tanks stacked (mechanically, not musically) and have a switch to go back and forth.

Any issues with this?

peAk

selfdestroyer

Since the tanks are so input and output impedance driven, I would think you could put 2 on a switch but I would use something like a 4pdt so you can switch the input and output of the tanks at the same time.. maybe.. just spit balling here.

Edit: I mean 4pdt not 3pdt

lars

You could do this with a 3PDT if both of your tanks have a "C" for the 5th digit in their codes. That means your input is insulated and the output is grounded. In that case, you only have to switch the input hot signal, the output hot signal, and the output ground. If you have an "A" for the 5th digit on the tanks, then you will need a 4PDT as selfdestroyer suggested.
If your tanks are mis-matched in their grounding schemes, it will probably be very difficult to do this without serious popping noises and potential other noise problems.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Aentons

I'm curious...  I have a 3 and have been thinking of going to a 2.

Is it that the tail is too long on the 3spring?

peAk

Quote from: lars on February 15, 2019, 10:29:19 PM
You could do this with a 3PDT if both of your tanks have a "C" for the 5th digit in their codes. That means your input is insulated and the output is grounded. In that case, you only have to switch the input hot signal, the output hot signal, and the output ground. If you have an "A" for the 5th digit on the tanks, then you will need a 4PDT as selfdestroyer suggested.
If your tanks are mis-matched in their grounding schemes, it will probably be very difficult to do this without serious popping noises and potential other noise problems.

They are the 9AB3C1B and a 4AB3C1B so it seems as though a 3PDT would work. The kit I built https://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/wave has enough space cause of the tubes sticking out so that I could just stack the reverbs ontop of each other and just route another switch.

Quote from: Aentons on February 16, 2019, 12:05:28 PM
I'm curious...  I have a 3 and have been thinking of going to a 2.

Is it that the tail is too long on the 3spring?

Actually, both of these are long decay but the MOD tank is much darker sounding than the Accutronics. From what I have read and listened to through youtube, I would say 3 springs are usually that way. Could just be the difference between the Accutronics tanks and the Mods. They are both cool, just quite a bit different.

thanks guys