News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

For everyone who hates those helping hands things

Started by ahiddentableau, February 12, 2019, 08:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahiddentableau

I saw this referenced in the most recent edition of TapeOp and thought it might interest some folks around here.  It's a different take on the whole "third hand"/"helping hands" deal using silicone.

http://www.thecheese.biz/

Looks pretty cool, particularly if you are doing much in the way of guitar/amp/studio tech work.

Leevibe

That's a great idea. I like it. Blue tak and PCB vise or hobby vise keeps me covered. I abandoned helping hands a long time ago. I always felt like they would hold stuff at every possible angle except the one I needed and the jaws aren't kind to insulation.

somnif

Quote from: Leevibe on February 12, 2019, 08:47:07 PM
the jaws aren't kind to insulation.

A bit of aquarium tubing slipped over the jaws helps with that particular problem.

pickdropper

You can ditch helping hands and all sorts of things like this once you learn to hold wires with your feet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

davent

Quote from: somnif on February 12, 2019, 08:52:26 PM
Quote from: Leevibe on February 12, 2019, 08:47:07 PM
the jaws aren't kind to insulation.

A bit of aquarium tubing slipped over the jaws helps with that particular problem.

I used heat shrink on mine.

Also a big improvement was gluing a piece of dowel into the base of each jaw so it doesn't get crushed when the thumbnut get tightened to hold jaw/alligator clip. Replaced the wingnuts with brass thumbnuts(?).
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?