News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klon news .........

Started by Tremster, February 14, 2019, 12:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

I wonder how many of his "special" $1000 1N34A diodes he has left.  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Muadzin

Quote from: EBK on February 14, 2019, 02:48:27 AM
I wonder how many of his "special" $1000 1N34A diodes he has left.  :P

Since he said he cornered the whole world supply of that particular bit of magic unobtainium, maybe even more then we can imagine?

dont-tase-me-bro

I heard they're $20,000, and when you name comes up on the wait list, there's a gladiator match with other customers then see who gets it.
I thought this would save me money.

pickdropper

I say, who cares?  Tons of Klon-type pedals out there for folks on a budget.  If Bill wants to build a few batches of Klons and put them up for auction, the market will determine what their price is.  He put this one up with a starting bid of $100.  Other people decided they were willing to pay $2k. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

I think him capitalizing on the hype is long overdue (and good for him). But, I also have a hearty laugh at the TGP machinations about free markets and bears. There are a few guys on there that will call you a commie if you dare state the slightest distaste for over-inflated prices.

IOW,

pickdropper

Quote from: madbean on February 14, 2019, 05:14:32 AM
I think him capitalizing on the hype is long overdue (and good for him). But, I also have a hearty laugh at the TGP machinations about free markets and bears. There are a few guys on there that will call you a commie if you dare state the slightest distaste for over-inflated prices.

IOW,

Well, certainly if he starts building on a regular basis, I would expect the free market to lower the ending price on the auctions.

I'm really curious what quantity he actually ends up building of these.
Function f(x)

fair.child

Myth No.5: Certain clones sound "exactly the same" as a Klon. Finnegan's contention is that, given several factors—especially the rarity of the Centaur's germanium clipping diodes—it would be extremely difficult to create an identical-sounding overdrive/boost.

EBK

Does he consider all of his official Klons to be identical-sounding?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

lars

"Bill Finnegan is selling the original Klon Centaur Overdrive again!"
So these are original copies? Or are they new originals? Ah, it's the original second reissue. Originally the original had an origin that originated with the original originator.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

pickdropper

Quote from: fair.child on February 14, 2019, 07:03:25 AM
Myth No.5: Certain clones sound "exactly the same" as a Klon. Finnegan's contention is that, given several factors—especially the rarity of the Centaur's germanium clipping diodes—it would be extremely difficult to create an identical-sounding overdrive/boost.

I suspect he actually believes that, but I've built a handful of 1590A versions so folks could stop gigging their original Klon and they all reported the smaller version sounded basically the same.
Function f(x)

m-Kresol

I also agree that this is a good thing. a) all the idiots that think that only the original will suffice, have a chance to get one. b) Bill invented and engineered the thing, so he should be making money off of it. especially considering all the clones.

didn't Bill say that all the diodes he uses are regular 1n34a without measuring them or anything? I guess there are still those that won't accept that fact.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

EBK

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 14, 2019, 12:17:42 PM
didn't Bill say that all the diodes he uses are regular 1n34a without measuring them or anything? I guess there are still those that won't accept that fact.
Something like that. 1N34A auditioned by ear, I think.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Leevibe