News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New approach to component organization?

Started by milkypostman, February 14, 2019, 08:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkypostman

Recently I went to mouser and got sets of 10 or 50 resistors and a bunch of caps to start my "stock" of components. I spent a lot of time finding the ideal way to organize these component and I thought I would share my solution. Other approaches I saw didn't work for me:

• baggies are out because I think they make it hard to find components quickly; it's like looking through the library card catalog
  • drawer systems mean that you pretty much can't move them and I always found them to be sloppy

I think I found the solution I wanted -- maybe a bit pricey -- which is to use containers that coin collectors use. Guardhouse Quarter Coin Tube-100 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Z81915/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_2n9ndm8EjM6Ch

There are many variations and sizes but I picked the quarter size since it was a nice balance between something like a half dollar and a nickel. In my use I can get around 100 resistors in one container but not 200. I also picked the square containers because then they don't roll on the table. Each is labeled then sorted and easy to put back since I normally just take one out at a time. I am planning to build a simple plywood box that will fit all 200 containers.

https://imgur.com/a/X7IFoT0

HamSandwich

My dude.

That is a great idea. Resistors, caps, diodes... ICs fit too? Smaller toggles may even fit.

Except they are sold out  >:(

milkypostman

https://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/guardhouse-square-coin-tubes-100-pack.html

Or

https://www.thecoinsupplystore.com/products/coin-safe-square-tubes-qtrs

The second ones actually may be nicer than what I bought as they seem more square. I paid about $40 for 100 so not super cheap but they should last forever.

For ICs, switches, and other parts I use 3-4 Akron mills containers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQPZDK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You can fit ICs but I feel like they're harder to separate since I don't keep a lot on hand. I can fit more into the Akron containers.

EBK

For storing and organizing ICs, I bought a 24 in. × 12 in. (61 cm × 30.5 cm) sheet of conductive foam and pinned it to my wall.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B88717I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_2iBzCbEDW1KYE
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aentons

Quote from: milkypostman on February 14, 2019, 08:06:21 AM

baggies are out because I think they make it hard to find components quickly; it's like looking through the library card catalog

I do different size nested bags, with all my stuff in a single plastic bin. Its the most space efficient by far. For instance, I have a large bag for all resistors, within that, a smaller bag for all 1/8w, a bag for all 1/4w etc..., within those, a bag for all metal film,  within that,  each specific value in order in it's own bag. Its very easy for me to find stuff and get it out and put it away. I don't need to have it out all the time and readily accessible so it is what works for me.

milkypostman

I have a hard time with opening bags as well. For example the mouse bags which I sometimes rip the seal off of.

BuGG

It's funny you compare baggies to a library card catalog file, I've actually wanted one of those for the longest time.   ;D

I use the baggie method with "Index" cards at key breaks in the values (10K, 47K, 100K, etc) so I can jump to where I need to be quickly.   I like this method because I can always insert a new value without having to rearrange drawers/bins/canisters...

milkypostman

What size baggies do you use and what do you do to make them rigid and organize well. Some bags will not stack well cause all the resistors sink to the bottom.

flanagan0718

I use a 3 ring binder with trading card sleeves for resistors and diodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickdropper

I like the snap together type storage boxes.  They won't work for everything, but I use the smallest ones for SMT resistors and capacitors, the small anti-static ones for SMT diodes, transistors and ICs.

I use the next size up for through hole caps.  Eventually, I am going to store resistors in them as well.  The nice thing is that they are easy to snap apart and rearrange when you add new values.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

milkypostman

Where do you find these snap together? I saw them but they were quite costly if I recall correctly.

pickdropper

Quote from: milkypostman on February 26, 2019, 04:15:06 PM
Where do you find these snap together? I saw them but they were quite costly if I recall correctly.

Adafruit sells them, and you can find them on eBay.

They aren't cheap (the green ones are usually about $1 each) but I find them worth it.  The smaller boxes can be found for about $0.50 each or so.
Function f(x)

milkypostman

Quote from: pickdropper on February 26, 2019, 04:24:27 PM

I thought the green ones would be great for resistors but now that I have the tubes and things are vertical they probably take up less space. May be nicer for other components.

They aren't cheap (the green ones are usually about $1 each) but I find them worth it.  The smaller boxes can be found for about $0.50 each or so.

pickdropper

Quote from: milkypostman on February 26, 2019, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: pickdropper on February 26, 2019, 04:24:27 PM

I thought the green ones would be great for resistors but now that I have the tubes and things are vertical they probably take up less space. May be nicer for other components.

There's really no wrong answer here.  It sounds like you dig the coin tubes, which is fantastic.
Function f(x)

gordo

I'm with Bugg, I use the baggies.  Office Max used to sell the size that would fit sideways in an file card box (a slightly smaller shoebox).  I print labels for them across the top side, mostly because I write like a 2 year old, and it's REALLY reduced how much space my stock takes up.  It's a bit more work than plastic drawers but is faster to get to parts.

I think the last load of bags came from Smallbear.  They're fairly thick plastic so they put up with a fair bit of abuse.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?