News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny Muff confusion - Civil War specs

Started by Rockhorst, October 23, 2011, 01:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhorst

I'm building a Mudbunny and was going for Civil War specs from the descriptions I've read. It should be a bit smoother than a Green Russian. The main difference in specs as listed in the project documents are C2, C5 and C8.

Civil War: 430 pF
Green Russian: 470 pF

I didn't have any 430s, only 470s. I did some more research and that's where the confusion starts. On DIYstompboxes forum I read that higher values (like 560 pF) sound smoother than lower values. That seems to be in contradiction with the Madbean Civil War specs.

Could anyone shed a little light on this?

stecykmi

the higher the value you put in those positions, the more high end it's gonna cut, simple as that.

Rockhorst

Quote from: stecykmi on October 23, 2011, 04:45:22 PM
the higher the value you put in those positions, the more high end it's gonna cut, simple as that.
Thanks, I had already gathered that though. My confusion stems from the description of the Civil War Muff as 'smooth and bassy' as compared to the parts values which are lower than those of (say) a Ram's Head. I would've expected a higher value. 430 pF is kinda hard to get/make, but not impossible, I just hope someone can share some experiences so I can make more educated guesses.

9Lives

change in subject. I'm new to all of this. Is it ok to use the rubber looking high volt 500vcaps? I have a few. Will they work on this?

Rockhorst

Quote from: 9Lives on October 24, 2011, 06:40:37 AM
change in subject. I'm new to all of this. Is it ok to use the rubber looking high volt 500vcaps? I have a few. Will they work on this?
Sure, back to subject.

stecykmi

well all the parts are the same except for some components which form low pass filters, and even then they're not really that different. therefore they're going to sound very similar no matter how people try to describe it, even if they say otherwise.

i doubt you'd even be able to tell much of a difference between 430pf and 470pf. if you have only 470pf on hand, use those. the differences are going to be very subtle.