News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny - which one is which?

Started by dmitrogen47, February 21, 2019, 03:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitrogen47

Hi everyone,

I'm going to build all Muff versions available with the Mudbunny project just to hear the differences, and because why not?
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/_folders/DistBoostOD/pdf/Mudbunny_2015.pdf

The part sets specified are: Triangle, Violet Ram's head, Green Russian, Civil War, Mayo and Creamy Dreamer.
My question is: which part set is a replica/is based on/sounds similar to the NYC Muff shown in the picture attached? I would like to build this one first and use it as a sort of reference point. My guess it's definitely not Ram's head or Green Russian, and as to others I am not sure at all.

Thanks in advance!

Bret608

You would probably have the best luck going to Kit Rae's Big Muff site and tracking down the NYC Muff schematic if he has it posted. Then you could walk the parts values over to the Mudbunny schematic. I'm guessing it's closest to the Ram's Head but can't remember. His site is way too much fun if you're into Muff lore!  :)

matmosphere

I Think Brian makes an effort to not clone current commercial products (could be wrong, but I kind of remember reading that), so the NYC muff parts aren't included on that list.

Bret is correct though, Kit Rae has the parts list up for the NYC muff in his schematics. Things might be numbered a little different than Brian's BOM so be careful.

dmitrogen47

Took a deeper look at Kit Rae's page...

At this point, I don't even know how I feel about the Big Muff.
I have built a sort-of Green Russian using a schematic from some other website, and it sounds fine to my ear, but for some reason my subconsciousness does not perceive it as a "true" or "correct" Muff.

There are literally TONS of different variants of the Muff, starting with EHX variations made over the years due to part availability, and ending with infinite options found on DIY websites.
I know variety is the spice of life and all that, and that many people enjoy being able to customize the schematic and tailor the sound to their liking, but I feel rather frustrated that there is no "be all end all" or "one Muff to rule them all" shematic, and no chance of it existing, really.

My last option would be to buy the Muff from the original post, disassemble and reverse-engineer it, and then put it back together and return it to the store or resell. Though it sounds a bit shady to me, and it would involve a bit too many extra steps.

I'm lost.

Willybomb

You can always just get a Mufuletta.

somnif

You hit the nail on the head, there are as many Muff variants are ther are Muffs out there in the world.

Your pic in the top post is a v9 NYC "reissue" version (given the knobs and the LED) , which would be this approximately schematic (audio path only):

(There have been a few revisions, currently use BC550C transistors, 1N4148 diodes, and the volume pot was changed to A500k)

And, if you honestly want the "end all, be  all" Muff-behemoth, there is always the Muffuleta, JHS's remarkably clever use of digital switching to stuff 6 honest to god versions of the BMP in a single box (if you have 230$ knocking around collecting dust)-

dmitrogen47

Thanks somnif,
The schematic you've posted seems like a good place to start with the NYC reissue project.
Have a good one!

matmosphere

My personal fav is the stomptown version but he doesn't have a page any more and I can't find the doc.

From what I've read most audible differences come from changing the caps in the food clipping stages.

pedalman

Look into beavis's "fuzz lab" and start thinking outside the box with your mods. Lol

Mudbunny is a good one for this
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

rockola

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 23, 2019, 12:22:27 PM
My personal fav is the stomptown version but he doesn't have a page any more and I can't find the doc.
Do you mean the Icky Muff? See below.