News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What do you do with an enclosure that you messed up?

Started by sarde, February 21, 2019, 07:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarde

I have an enclosure that i drilled too close to the top (by 1/4") and the pots and pcbs hit the jacks. There is no way conceivable to make it work, so it's useless for this project; but it seems like such a waste to throw it away. What do you guys do when this happens? How have you repurposed a dud enclosure before?
Check out some of my projects over at https://pendragonguitarworks.wordpress.com/

Marshall Arts

J. B. Weld. Or flip it over and mount pots to the lid.

fair.child

Most of the times, they will be repurposed either for small tube amp or something creative like a junction box or huminator

EBK

+1 for JB Weld. 
The build I am presently working on actually had a misdrilled hole filled with JB Weld, which I've primed and painted over.  Good as new.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

JB Weld to the rescue. I've cut enclosures apart with a hacksaw and reconfigured them into wedges holding them together, no problem, using jb weld. With proper sanding and a good paint job, invisible.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22887.0
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

I've tried the JB weld thing it "works" to some extent. I say use a faceplate on the enclosure. That is the easiest way to cover up the mistake and it looks damn good too!   ;)

-Mike-

cooder

I use automotive filler, sand down, spray paint top white.
Stick a graphic over it with strong colours, hides it well enough for me.
Did that on this one:

BigNoise Amplification

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

Ok, now you guys have inspired me to take that step I've been dreaming of taking.... cutting the ends off a couple of DD enclosures and JBing them together to make a nearly double width DD for a fly rig... Might work.

EBK

There are 6 holes filled with JB Weld in this pic, plus another 3 filled holes not in the pic (my most extreme recovery job to date).

Although I've gotten quite good at filling holes, I still suck at painting.   :-\
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

TNblueshawk

I have come so close to doing this before but I was able to jam it in there and put some electrical tape around the pot top. Had I not I figured I would keep the jack holes and then put some JB over the top and then decal the top and since I use Envirotex epoxy on mine that would shore it up as well. Actually, I've thought about just putting a decal on top and then putting the epoxy on it and not even bother to fill in the hole. But, I run the risk of it sagging in there.
John

Willybomb

I put a datapol sticker over the jack holes I did at the wrong end of my Superjudge + build, and put some woodglue in that.  You wouldn't know there was a problem...

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer