News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Predrilled Enclosure (PPP) DC Jack

Started by benny_profane, February 23, 2019, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benny_profane

The predrilled PPP VFE enclosures have a 11/32" D/C jack hole. What jack does this fit? The Boss style 2.1mm jacks are 1/2" and the lumberg non-switching thinline jacks are 5/16". It seems odd to have it a little bigger than the non-switching option (use a washer?) but not big enough for the switching jack when the layout is made to include a battery.

Aentons

It's for the original VFE switch board where the jack was PCB mount. Have a look at the version 1 switch board project doc.

Edit: not sure where the v1 doc ran off to... It may be in the zip for the v2 board

somnif

Quote from: benny_profane on February 23, 2019, 08:50:26 PM
The predrilled PPP VFE enclosures have a 11/32" D/C jack hole. What jack does this fit? The Boss style 2.1mm jacks are 1/2" and the lumberg non-switching thinline jacks are 5/16". It seems odd to have it a little bigger than the non-switching option (use a washer?) but not big enough for the switching jack when the layout is made to include a battery.

VFE pedals used an internal jack accessed through the hole in the case (this style: https://lovemyswitches.com/pcb-mount-dc-power-jack/). So all you're jamming through the hole is the plug. (Can't recall the exact model Peter specified in his builds, but its similarly PCB mounted, flat faced).

edit: VFE switching board doc: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/archives/VFE/VFE_SwitchingBoard_v1.zip

benny_profane

Oh okay, does the V2 not have the onboard option? I'm not looking at the board right now. If it doesn't, should I drill it out a bit more and throw in a Boss style jack?

somnif

Right, the v2 switching uses a wired DC input. So you could either use the smaller jack with a washer, or ream out the hole a bit and use a bigger jack (just be careful you don't interfere with the audio jack hole next to it)

benny_profane

Quote from: somnif on February 23, 2019, 09:06:17 PM
Right, the v2 switching uses a wired DC input. So you could either use the smaller jack with a washer, or ream out the hole a bit and use a bigger jack (just be careful you don't interfere with the audio jack hole next to it)

Ah okay. I was planning on using the board-mounted audio jacks. Do you think there's enough clearance for the Boss style jack?

fair.child

Yes, it should have enough clearance as long you use the lumberg for the output jacks.

I had a doubt before if I'm going to drill 1/2" DC jack. It actually turned well.

benny_profane

Quote from: fair.child on February 24, 2019, 03:08:25 AM
Yes, it should have enough clearance as long you use the lumberg for the output jacks.

I had a doubt before if I'm going to drill 1/2" DC jack. It actually turned well.

I've got these Neutrik jacks on deck:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Neutrik/NMJ6HCD2/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiV5kIvuq9GNdIXM8aWl3faEo%3D

My best bet in that case is probably going to be the thin line Lumberg DC jack with a washer I imagine.

fair.child

It's going to be hard if you use the Neutrik. I tried

I hate to drill larger hole on the enclosures so instead use Neutrik, I use Lumberg. Do you have MBP VFE Switching or Original VFE Switching?

benny_profane

I've got the MBP V2 board without the onboard dc jack pads.

fair.child

Then you can drill 1/2" PPP VFE enclosure. Use the Lumberg instead of Neutrik and you shall be good!

benny_profane

Do you mean a lumberg pc mount audio jack? I think I've only ever seen the offboard wiring ones.