News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

... Need help with debugging an Aquaboy 2016

Started by Ariosto, February 28, 2019, 02:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it possible to debug from the distance?

Aquaboy
3 (75%)
Delay
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 30, 2019, 03:31:55 AM

zombiesonore

HamSandwich

Ariosto

Ariosto

Hi, Ham Sandwich. I am new in this place and I did not understand what you said. Now I voted. THANKS!

Ariosto

I must sadly revive this post. I succeed 100% with the build, calibration, and the modulation worked fine!........... Out of the box. As soon as I boxed everything -which was a hell of a creative job- I did haven´t no delay signal anymore. But surprisingly, the signal pass thru when the pedal is engaged. Checked the signal with the audio probe (not completely yet) and it is apparently everything alright. Later I decided to play a bit with the trimpots and all I´ve got now is a distorted delay signal at low volume. I checked the voltages but as I have a 3PRR the values are not equal as in the PDF. Some advice out there?

Ariosto

HamSandwich

Sounds like something it shorting some where. When you audio probed, did you check the output of the delay chip? I believe you should only be getting delayed signal out of that, no 'clean'. And also, when you take the circuit out of the box, does it work again?

Ariosto

Quote from: HamSandwich on March 26, 2019, 02:21:41 PM
Sounds like something it shorting some where. When you audio probed, did you check the output of the delay chip? I believe you should only be getting delayed signal out of that, no 'clean'. And also, when you take the circuit out of the box, does it work again?

I took the circuit out of the box, hoping that everything would come back to normality again, but no way. I used a bit audio probe, but I began from the input, when in fact is the opposite, must go back from the output. It is very frustrating and time demanding, but there is no other way to find the problem. I´ve got a theory: As I am using the 3PRR, could be any chance that some component died due to the new voltage? How could I know it?

Ariosto

Scruffie

Quote from: Ariosto on March 27, 2019, 02:03:12 PM

I took the circuit out of the box, hoping that everything would come back to normality again, but no way. I used a bit audio probe, but I began from the input, when in fact is the opposite, must go back from the output. It is very frustrating and time demanding, but there is no other way to find the problem. I´ve got a theory: As I am using the 3PRR, could be any chance that some component died due to the new voltage? How could I know it?

Ariosto
So it worked on 9V and then you increased the voltage?

You can't do that, the 571 will need its biasing resistor values changing for the new voltage.
Works at Lectric-FX

Ariosto

Quote from: Scruffie on March 27, 2019, 02:06:10 PM
Quote from: Ariosto on March 27, 2019, 02:03:12 PM

Ariosto
So it worked on 9V and then you increased the voltage?

You can't do that, the 571 will need its biasing resistor values changing for the new voltage.

Mmmm, no. I´ve build it with the 3PRR from scratch.

As in the official Aquaboy PDF says:

"15v operation
Higher supply voltage means more headroom in the signal path which many guitar players like and the Aquaboy sounds
very good at 15v. You will need to change R13 and R14 to 36k to increase the bias output from the compressor. The
biasing procedure will be the same, although the clock frequency range will change a bit. The FDBK control may go into
self-oscillation at an earlier point at 15v operation, so you should socket R30 and increase its value to get the response
you want.
Important: if you run the Aquaboy at 15v it needs to be regulated! Use a Road Rage, 3PRR, or similar charge pump
with a regulator. Feeding more than 15v to the MN3005 could result in damage. One important consideration here is using
a charge pump introduces a second clock into the circuit and this can result in heterodyne (clock noise). If using a charge
pump I suggest you test your build carefully beforehand to ensure you get a good result."

Must I re-check the values of R13 and R14 again? Is there a way to know if I damaged an IC then? Why did it worked out of the box and then died? Why do I have audio signal in both positions?

Thans a lot for your help.

HamSandwich

You have audio when the effect is on or off because it's likely something happened in the delay line. The "dry" signal is split and sent through the delay line through C8, but also passes through the R8. The delayed signal gets mixed in through R29. If you're gettinf clean signal, that suggest something happened after C8 and before R29. Is your clock still setup right? If you turn the mix all the way up, so you get anything? Can you post voltages? Also, do an audio probe all the way through the delay line, starting with C8 and see where you're losing it.

Ariosto

Quote from: HamSandwich on March 28, 2019, 09:45:42 PM
You have audio when the effect is on or off because it's likely something happened in the delay line. The "dry" signal is split and sent through the delay line through C8, but also passes through the R8. The delayed signal gets mixed in through R29. If you're gettinf clean signal, that suggest something happened after C8 and before R29. Is your clock still setup right? If you turn the mix all the way up, so you get anything? Can you post voltages? Also, do an audio probe all the way through the delay line, starting with C8 and see where you're losing it.

Well, I measured voltages from five minutes ago. My values have NOTHING in common with the values in the PDF document (Is that due to the 3PRR extra voltage?). And in the IC2 (NE750) I became voltage fluctuations almost in every pin. Or are they caused by the extra Modulation PCB? Here they are:

IC1(4558)                             IC2(NE570)                               IC3(MN3005)                                 IC5(MN3101)

1.  7.43                                 1.  0.01                                     1.  14.79                                        1.  14.16
2.  7.43                                 2.  1.75                                     2.  7.09                                          2.  7.09
3.  7.39                                 3.  1.75                                     3.  Varies 4 - 9                                3.  0
4.  0                                      4.  0                                         4.  Varies 4.41 - 9.20                       4.  7.09
5.  7.39                                 5.  Varies 1.79 - 1.81                 5.  0                                               5.  6.68
6.  7.42                                 6.  1.76                                     6.  7.09                                          6. 7.34
7.  Varies 7.40 - 7.47             7.  Varies 2.91 - 3.04                  7.  4.01                                         7.  7.04
8.  14.85                               8.  1.76                                     8.  0.93                                          8.  0.93
                                            9.  1.76
                                            10.  Varies 3.48 - 4.24
                                            11.  Varies 3.30 - 4.21
                                            12.  Varies 1.82 - 2.04
                                            13.  14.86
                                            14.  Varies 1.63 - 1.75
                                            15.  1.72 - 1.83
                                            16.  0

Audio probe did not made yet. But I insist. Strangest of them all is, the thing WORKED before I boxed it. Anyway I will make the promised and recommended audio probe and will write the results.

Bye,
Ariosto