News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HNSHGD - PRS Se, plus a prank.

Started by Willybomb, March 02, 2019, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Happy New Second Hand Guitar Day to me. 

I've been wanting a PRS since 1991, but there was no way I was going to pay the AUD$5k for one, ever.  I decided that I was over having multiple below/average guitars that I'd hotted up and wanted to get something nice, so I sold the Attention Whore and a stack of pedals to get the cash together.

I went to the local shop to try out an SE, but it was so horribly set up it didn't play in tune.  I asked if they could set it up for me as I was serious about it, but wanted to know that it was able to be made playable before purchase if I'm forking out $800 - and I really wanted to buy local rather than online.  Long story short, they said yes, but we'll have to call you as we're too busy today.  Two weeks later and no call, went in, the guitar is in the same state.  Old string, 7mm action at the 12th fret.

Oh well, they mustn't have wanted my business.  I went online, looked around, and my friend found one for me near him on FB.  He's interstate.  Victoria vs Tasmania...  The bloke wants $600.  I ask him if he'll do $500 as I have to get it sent to me, and I can get it new for $800 set up and delivered.  Bloke says sure, if it's cash.  No probs, deal done.

My friend tries it out, rants about it and takes it to band praco for a drive.  Loves it, I may have to pry it from his cold dead hands (keep in mind he has a V-strat, Tele, and LP Studio to compare it to).  He sources a hardcase for me and sends it over, packing it with foam and whatever within an inch of it's life.

So, of course, what I do is post an FB status that only he, his wife, and my partner can see, that the guitar has arrived busted, complete with google sourced images.  Friend has a heart attack.  I let him off the hook and told him it was fine.

Anyway, the action wasn't any different to the shop one.  Scratching my head a bit, I lowered the saddles and it all came good.

So, impressions:
Indonesian made.  The neck is wider than Hulksnot, and shorter due to the scale length obviously, still coming to grips with that a bit.  The fret edges are fantastic.  There are two dings, one on the back and on on the top edge that can't be seen for the most part unless you're looking for it.

Overall, I this is a quality guitar.  In Australian prices, it's probably an upper mid range priced guitar and I'd say it's easily better than the Player Strats at the same price, and equal to the performers at double the price.  The only things that let it down imo are the cheap looking nut and truss rod cover.  Not a fan of the logo either, but that's even less important.  My opinion might just be because it's new to me or whatever.

You can find my prank at my fb profileas I've made it public for the time being:
https://www.facebook.com/william.phillips.77736310

pickdropper

Very cool.  I've been eying a Zach Myers SE to keep at work.  I've got some store credit at the local store, so I may do it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper