News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall - Why Positive Ground? (-15V)

Started by MarshallPlexi, March 11, 2019, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarshallPlexi

I've been reading through the Total Recall and the DirtBag Deluxe and I can't get my head around why the Total Recall has to be positive ground when the DirtBag Deluxe is negative ground? Is there an operating parameter or tonal change I'm missing?

Thanks!

madbean

In 2011 when I first started the Dirtbag, genuine MN3005 were becoming exceedingly hard to find. So the idea was to design something that allowed you to build a negative ground DMM with either the MN3005 or the v3205 which were readily available. Ultimately, the 3205 implementation just did not satisfy people and it didn't think it sounded as good. Coincidentally, there was a rather poor batch of v3205 circulating that some people had gotten their hands on which did not sound good at all. So, it was the combination of my less-than-ideal design combined with some bad chips which led me to discontinue it. Later on I picked the project back up as a true stock version of the DMM and once there Xvive remakes came around I just stuck with it.

I probably could do a negative ground version for use with the Xvive. It's just not something I've thought about. But, it wouldn't be too hard to do one that runs on +18v. Maybe even a 3-chip version for a bit extra delay.

MarshallPlexi

Great info MB! So if I were to use my MN3005's from XVIVE I can just use the Dirtbag?