News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Naughty Fish - volume pot wiring

Started by davesvn007, March 15, 2019, 09:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davesvn007

I've looked but can't find an answer on the wiring for the volume pot.  It's really a "how to" in general, I suppose.  I am building a Naughty Fish and I'm just about done.  I have the 100k volume pot and it has 3 "lugs", tiny as they are.  On the board are 3 pads, one of which is square.  So... what is the general rule in terms of which pad gets connected to which lug on the pot?  I can tell from some multi-meter testing that the "left" lug and the center lug provide 0 to 100k then the pot is turned clockwise, and the "right" lug to center gives me the same range only in reverse (i.e. 100k to 0). 

I'm just having some trouble determining how to map the pads on the board to the lugs on the pot.

Thanks for any assistance.

davesvn007

In looking further, I guess I am confused by square pad 1 on the board.  The guide indicates solder pads 2 and 3 together if not using the pot... so it makes sense to have pad 2 go to the center lug and pad 3 go to the "left" lug.  Does that mean the remaining lug goes to the square pad #1?  And I struggle with that since I would think the remaining lug on the pot would go to ground... but square pad (in my brain) means positive... 

Bio77

Square pad indicates lug 1 on your pot.  In most cases pots are acting as a voltage divider.  If you put it in backwards the pot just works in reverse, i.e., full CW would give you minimum volume.   

davesvn007

Ah, that makes sense.  Thanks for the missing piece!

pedalman

Think of pad 1&3 as a flowing river
Pad 2 is the bucket scooping up water
I mod cheap guitars because my local music store said not to.

davesvn007

I wired up the Naughty Fish and tried it out last night.  Works like a charm!  Even the volume pot is wired correctly and works as it should (thanks for the help, there!).

Awesome PCB and it made the whole process easy.  Definitely great quality boards, madbean!