News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Connection plugs for PCB holes

Started by Marshall Arts, March 19, 2019, 06:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

Someone here posted an image about some sort of plug that fits into the holes for through-hole-components, which would be perfect for evaluating component values without having to put solder in the holes. I just dont find it any more... any help is welcome!

jimilee

You mean sockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

EBK

They were spring-loaded test-pin-like things, as I recall.  I remember the post, but can't remember the product either. 
I think they popped into the holes of a PCB, gripping the sides and allowing a temporary electrical connection without soldering, right?
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Marshall Arts

Quote from: EBK on March 19, 2019, 08:12:55 AM
They were spring-loaded test-pin-like things, as I recall.  I remember the post, but can't remember the product either. 
I think they popped into the holes of a PCB, gripping the sides and allowing a temporary electrical connection without soldering, right?
Right.

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Leevibe

Quote from: EBK on March 19, 2019, 08:49:12 AM
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3823?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8yhUQGqo7ElmlHqhxvIJGfFaFmQhvYfmAxErlOQQ5tMyHnAk4GBw80aAmM7EALw_wcB

For completeness,
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=28543.msg276921#msg276921

Glad I saw this. I needs to get me some of those. I've tried different things but I usually end up clipping to other leads in circuit. It would be super handy to pop those suckers in and clip to them.

trailer

I have about 100 of these and can toss some in envelopes for folks wanting to give them a try. I still haven't tried them but they are tiny!

Shoot me a PM.

Marshall Arts

Quote from: trailer on March 19, 2019, 09:54:40 AM
I about 100 of these and toss some in envelopes for folks wanting to give them a try. I still haven't tried them but they are tiny!

Shoot me a PM.
Just bought 100 myself... Guess I'm covered, but thanks!

pickdropper

I have some of these and I find they really are better when soldered in.  I find them frustrating when trying to use them as a snap connector.  I far prefer Pomona minigrabbers.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on March 19, 2019, 10:14:36 AM
I have some of these and I find they really are better when soldered in.  I find them frustrating when trying to use them as a snap connector.  I far prefer Pomona minigrabbers.

I usually use mini grabbers. They work pretty well. It just takes that extra work to trace the layout to find what to clip to. And I use the cheap ones, so they aren't always good at staying connected. I'll have to look at Pomona. Are they spendy?

pickdropper

Quote from: Leevibe on March 19, 2019, 10:44:27 AM

I usually use mini grabbers. They work pretty well. It just takes that extra work to trace the layout to find what to clip to. And I use the cheap ones, so they aren't always good at staying connected. I'll have to look at Pomona. Are they spendy?

Pomona stuff is generally spending, but they last a while and you probably don't need a ton of them.  They are a lot cheaper if you just buy the clips and wire them up yourself.  I think they are few dollars a piece when purchased that way from Mouser.  It's been a while, though.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Quote from: pickdropper on March 19, 2019, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on March 19, 2019, 10:44:27 AM

Pomona stuff is generally spending, but they last a while and you probably don't need a ton of them.  They are a lot cheaper if you just buy the clips and wire them up yourself.  I think they are few dollars a piece when purchased that way from Mouser.  It's been a while, though.

Thanks. I'll give them a look.

alanp

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I usually just trace the net that the pcb hole is on, and tack a flying wire onto an already soldered hole.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

I have a solid idea on how to DIY these and be even better...or so I think. Experimentation to follow!