News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY 4 Second Digital Delay

Started by Aentons, March 31, 2019, 07:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

https://electricdruid.net/diy-digital-delay/

Anybody know anything about any other projects that use the dsPIC 33FJ64GP802 or why it hasn't taken off for diy?

HamSandwich

The chip has a handful of mentions over at DIYSB. I suspect it hasn't taken off for the same reasons most programmable chips haven't taken off - the difference between designing and soldering circuit boards is vastly different from the knowledge needed to write programs for effects. The FV1 tries to hurdle this with its simplified unit programming, and seems to have done a good job.

alanp

IIRC, something a couple of 4sec DD builders on diysb mentioned was that it was fairly noisy. (Tom didn't include an external DAC with his design, but used the PIC's internal one.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

dan.schumaker

Its pretty noisy... like in my opinion, unusable noisy (even with the changes Tom proposed).

Aristatertotle

I can also attest to the noise factor. It's noisier than a poorly laid out fuzz pedal.

I think a lot of the problem for diy chips is that there aren't a lot of through hole DSP options, and that was one of his design goals I believe for it to be through hole.

m-Kresol

I read the title and thought "Why?" :D
As in "why would you want such a thing and what would you use it for?"
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

somnif

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 01, 2019, 09:06:01 AM

At that length, its more of a looper than delay. Which has its uses, if the features are right, but it does sort of rely on high audio fidelity....

Muadzin

Quote from: m-Kresol on April 01, 2019, 09:06:01 AM

The history of delay as a guitar effect has mostly been for ever longer delay times. As such anything that gives longer delays then via the standard PT2399 is part of that quest, and one that puts DIY delays finally into the realm where they can finally compete against commercially available delays.