News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

10.27 - Pre-Ordering available

Started by madbean, October 27, 2011, 09:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

The real question is - does the V3205 version sound as good as the MN3005 version?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Quote from: jkokura on October 31, 2011, 08:36:35 PM
The real question is - does the V3205 version sound as good as the MN3005 version?

Jacob
uhhhh...bated breath for the first V3205 demo...  :P :D:P :o
Got to say gtr2's MN3005 demo was very impressive sounding

Scruffie

Quote from: nzCdog on October 31, 2011, 09:28:12 PM
Quote from: jkokura on October 31, 2011, 08:36:35 PM

Jacob
uhhhh...bated breath for the first V3205 demo...  :P :D:P :o
Got to say gtr2's MN3005 demo was very impressive sounding
My guess for those that can hear a difference, based purely on the reviews that the V3205 were 'louder' than the MN3205/MN3005 the circuit will seem a little brighter while also a bit grittier due to the lower headroom of the chips.

However the overall sound should be the same me thinks, same basic circuit, single lower voltage chip choice...
Works at Lectric-FX

plesur

Quote from: madbean on October 31, 2011, 03:26:30 PM
Here are the BOMs for the Current Lover, Honey Dripper and Dirtbag Deluxe.

Thanks so much Brian, these are really helpful.  :)

madbean

I'm pretty close to boxing up the v3205 DB and the HoneyDripper )probably today). I'll be doing demos of both right after.

Haberdasher

I assume IC6 of the HD is supposed to be LT1054?  TC1054 looks like surface mount at mouser.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

djaaz

Thanks for doing the demo between the two versions of the pedal.

I decided to go with the V3205 version first & compare it to a deluxe memory man even if i guess that the components tolerance will have more to do whit what differences i could hear between two pedals than the chip itself.

maybe time to open a thread about the part sourcing of these wonders to come?

I'm curious already a few ICs on the Dirtbag BOM besides the obvious MN3005.

madbean

Quote from: Haberdasher on November 01, 2011, 05:22:45 AM
I assume IC6 of the HD is supposed to be LT1054?  TC1054 looks like surface mount at mouser.

Whoops, that should be LT1054. I will get that fixed up today.

tenwatt

I noticed there is NOT a C44 or a C47 on the Dirt Bag.  Is that a mistake or were they just omitted?
Not too bright....

djaaz

gtr2

Quote from: djaaz on November 01, 2011, 05:39:18 AM
Thanks for doing the demo between the two versions of the pedal.

I decided to go with the V3205 version first & compare it to a deluxe memory man even if i guess that the components tolerance will have more to do whit what differences i could hear between two pedals than the chip itself.

maybe time to open a thread about the part sourcing of these wonders to come?

I'm curious already a few ICs on the Dirtbag BOM besides the obvious MN3005.

The BBD chips are what I hear differences in.  I've used both in aquaboys.  I prefer the cleaner repeats of the mn3005's over the "darker" grungier of the v3205.  But...that being said.  In a band mix I never even think about it and the v3205's work great!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

Quote from: tenwatt on November 01, 2011, 05:54:56 AM
I noticed there is NOT a C44 or a C47 on the Dirt Bag.  Is that a mistake or were they just omitted?

These are just gaps in the numbering sequence...nothing to worry about.

LaceSensor

PREORDERED. cant wait for this stuff. Christmas early.

djaaz

Quote from: gtr2 on November 01, 2011, 08:30:22 AM

The BBD chips are what I hear differences in.  I've used both in aquaboys.  I prefer the cleaner repeats of the mn3005's over the "darker" grungier of the v3205.  But...that being said.  In a band mix I never even think about it and the v3205's work great!

Josh

That much difference? I guess i'll find out. But good thing to know, that means it's worth using socket to switch the component from the V3205 version to the MN3005.

That lead to the other obvious question: is there any reliable & reasonable source to buy this MN3005 chip?
It looks that there is more fakes out there than genuine chip.

Scruffie

Quote from: djaaz on November 02, 2011, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: gtr2 on November 01, 2011, 08:30:22 AM

Josh

That much difference? I guess i'll find out. But good thing to know, that means it's worth using socket to switch the component from the V3205 version to the MN3005.

That lead to the other obvious question: is there any reliable & reasonable source to buy this MN3005 chip?
It looks that there is more fakes out there than genuine chip.

Build a 3rd Aqua Boy though and it might sound different again! Circumstantial evidence, while true a 3005 has higher headroom, don't forget physcoacoustics and just the fact that two pedals built the same can sound different, to have a fair test it would have to be blind and to match every single component to the other circuit apart from the chips, I wouldn't fret over the chip difference.

And unless you run the 3005 AquaBoy on a higher voltage, you would receive no benefit from the 3005 chip, what it has over the 3205 is a higher max voltage to give it that higher head room, at low voltage (9V) there is some reason to beleive the 3205 would actually perform better than the 3005, although i'm not sure how much research has gone in to this, just the Datasheet specs.

As for switching between 3205 & 3005, I recall Bean reported that this resulted in dead boards on the Aqua Puss so it is probably not advisable unless you fancy building 2 boards... although someone may test it with the Dirt Bags and find evidence to the contrary, it'll be a risk.

And no, there are NO reliable sources for MN3005s, MN3008s yes, but it is just not worth the risk of buying 3005s these days (and anywhere you buy from will be a risk, UTSource, Ebay, even some DIY sellers may sell fakes).
When a large company like EHX gets burnt buying 3005s (and they have far bigger buying power than us DIYers) it is a sign to give up on that chip and as i've said before, any remaining 3005s should be reserved for repairs of original pedals.

The only reliable place to buy them would be by chance finding some N.O.S parts in an old electronics store that might not have sold them, I do occasionaly read stories of people having such luck and in which case i'd most likely trust them.
Works at Lectric-FX