News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel: vias and c21

Started by divanorosso, April 10, 2019, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

divanorosso

Hello, with reference to the double-sided rev.1 project (the last one was released and downloadable).
Please, i have two questions:
1) There are at least 10 vias that are not connected with red or blu lines. Are they vias of ground that connect the upper and rear ground planes?
2) Can you explain what the hole under C21 is for?
Thanks a lot.

somnif

Quote from: divanorosso on April 10, 2019, 11:47:15 AM
1) There are at least 10 vias that are not connected with red or blu lines. Are they vias of ground that connect the upper and rear ground planes?

Yep. Ground planes can get cut off by traces, so connecting upper and lower in strategic places lets you end up with one contiguous unit.

Thanks a lot.

Used to be a Via on older version of the board, but it gives you an option of a standard 5mm wide cap instead of the slightly larger size the outer holes denote.

divanorosso

Quote from: somnif on April 10, 2019, 04:44:38 PM
Quote from: divanorosso on April 10, 2019, 11:47:15 AM

Yep. Ground planes can get cut off by traces, so connecting upper and lower in strategic places lets you end up with one contiguous unit.

Thanks a lot.

Used to be a Via on older version of the board, but it gives you an option of a standard 5mm wide cap instead of the slightly larger size the outer holes denote.

Ok, thank you very much for your very clear explanation.
Now, thanks to you too, I can complete the pcb and build my first Pork Barrel.