News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Proper way to turn ON an unplayed tube amp?

Started by fair.child, April 11, 2019, 08:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fair.child

Folks,

I want to ask a real question that I can't answer myself. So here's the story. 7 years ago, I left my home and dumped some gears to my mom storage. Most of them are Preamp, rack units, guitars, tube amps, etc. Fast forward today, my mom told me if we can donate the big box case inside the storage because it starts take a place.

I asked her to open the box and found a Dual Rectifier 220V version since we used to live in Asia. Now, I'm tempted to turn it back on and have the Dual recti back.

My question is, that Dual Recti hasn't been turned on for past 7 years or even been played. Is it safe if I put to standby 220V to rejuvenate the Elco caps? Specifically the power cap and might be tube rectifier? Or shall I need a variac to turn this on?

What do you guys think? I do really need some help and suggestion to bring this baby on.

Marshall Arts

Do I get it right? You live in a 110 volt region now and want to run a 220 volt amp there? Also... How could you forget a recto in a storage place?

fair.child

Quote from: Marshall Arts on April 11, 2019, 12:42:05 PM
Do I get it right? You live in a 110 volt region now and want to run a 220 volt amp there? Also... How could you forget a recto in a storage place?

I used to live in 220V region plus I'm traveling there which I'll try to hook it up with 220V first then I'll bring home which I do have 110V regular outlet with 240V extension (for my Tesla). Technically, I can power it here in States as well.

For forgetting the amp, dude, I got tons of stuffs I wanted to donate. I thought my mom already donated the Recto for a church youth group. Apparently, not and it still well kept which I gotta take a look and try to power it up. 7 years that amp hasn't been turned on.

Marshall Arts

I would follow the variac startup procedure described here:

https://robrobinette.com/Tube_Amp_Startup.htm

... Without the light bulb, your amp shouldn't have a shortage.

Marshall Arts

More precise, I meant only the section where Rob writes about forming the filter caps (for solid state or tube rectifiers.... Well... You have both :-))

Don't open the amp, if you don't have the experience (Can't judge) and don't need to. It's really dangerous.

fair.child

I do have a variac for 110V and I guess it's time to get a variac for 220V.

Check this out. I got a mixed comments from TGP

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/proper-way-to-turn-on-an-unplayed-tube-amp.2037644/#post-28358980

Some say you don't need variac because it's a newer amp and Mesa is nothing to build like a tank so just turn it normally and I'll be fine.

Some say I do need a variac.

Calling Mesa now.

TFZ

This isn't a vintage amp with rotten components, just turn it on. If it has problems, there are fuses.

fair.child

Mesa mentioned 7 years without turning on is nothing. If it's 15 years, it could be a difference. Plus, they recommend me to change the Power Transformer 220V to 117V. Hunting that transformer these days ain't easy. So, my best bet is just buying a new one. I think I'll go run the amp at 220V (Europe/Asia Output Voltage ~ charge the filter caps) then do replace the transformer for 117.

I don't have the amp right now because my trip to Asia will be at the end of Aug - early Sep period.

Aentons

Quote from: fair.child on April 16, 2019, 09:56:09 AM
Mesa mentioned 7 years without turning on is nothing. If it's 15 years, it could be a difference. Plus, they recommend me to change the Power Transformer 220V to 117V. Hunting that transformer these days ain't easy. So, my best bet is just buying a new one. I think I'll go run the amp at 220V (Europe/Asia Output Voltage ~ charge the filter caps) then do replace the transformer for 117.

I don't have the amp right now because my trip to Asia will be at the end of Aug - early Sep period.

Couldn't you run it thru a voltage converter/ step up down transformer?

Willybomb

I'm sorta stunned that you'd donate a recto to anybody.....

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Willybomb on April 17, 2019, 03:17:09 AM
I'm sorta stunned that you'd donate a recto to anybody.....
From a financial and emotional point of view, I may add :-)

fair.child

It might end up for the church and they usually write tax break for me. Two years ago I donated my JCM800 2203 to church and they did write tax break for me. The main reason I guess because we were moving out of state and we weren't able to bring everything. Instead sell it quickly, we just decided to donate it to church because they will keep continue use it weekly and the worship team know exactly what to do with the amp.

I have a feeling the recto will go the similar route which is I'm more than happy to spend more converting from 220V to 110V.

fair.child

Quote from: Aentons on April 16, 2019, 02:28:30 PM
Quote from: fair.child on April 16, 2019, 09:56:09 AM

I could but it'll give me energy efficiency loss.

I could but it will ruin the energy efficiency and I don't like to take a risk on bigger wattage amps like Boogie. For 20W or less, yeah sure but for 50W and beyond, I just replace the transformer for safety.

Couldn't you run it thru a voltage converter/ step up down transformer?

Marshall Arts

Quote from: fair.child on April 17, 2019, 07:14:12 AM
It might end up for the church and they usually write tax break for me. Two years ago I donated my JCM800 2203 to church and they did write tax break for me. The main reason I guess because we were moving out of state and we weren't able to bring everything. Instead sell it quickly, we just decided to donate it to church because they will keep continue use it weekly and the worship team know exactly what to do with the amp.

I have a feeling the recto will go the similar route which is I'm more than happy to spend more converting from 220V to 110V.
It's obviously been too long since I went to church. 2203? Rectos?

alanp

2203 is the code for Marshall JCM800 100W version.

Recto will be a Mesa Triple Rectifier amp -- the ones with faux diamondplate on the front.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website