Alpha RV16AF-41 (right-angle PCB-mount pot) equivalents at Mouser?

Started by mwnovak, April 16, 2019, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwnovak

Hi there.  Anyone know of an Alpha RV16AF-41 (right-angle PCB-mount pot) equivalent that's regularly available through Mouser?  They carry a broad selection of the alpha 16mm pots, but for whatever reason the -41 series isn't stocked.  Wondering if anyone has a go-to equivalent that Mouser stocks?  The last couple builds I've ended up ordering just the pots from a separate seller and would prefer to do everything in one order.  Thanks for any info, --Matt

TGP39

Hey Matt.   I've scoured mouser before for alpha equivalents and I found that there just isn't any 16mm pots at a comparable price.  If you think you may be in this hobby for the long haul, I would stock up on those alpha pots from Smallbear or Tayda.  I put in a potentiometer order about once a month.  Sometimes I keep an eye on eBay for good deals.  Unfortunately, the price of potentiometers climb quickly once you pass Alpha.  It's rare to see pedals (even production pedals) that don't contain alpha pots.  Hope this helps a little. 
-Steve. 
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

somnif

Yeah, even though I do 99% of my supply shopping from Mouser and Arrow these days, pots still come from Smallbear or Tayda.

Tayda Pros: 50 cents a pop, come with dust cover for free. Shipping is cheap in the states.
Tayda Cons: Really stiff action (on some), selection-to-shaft style makeup is bizarre at times (why are 1kC pots only available in spline shaft?)

Smallbear Pros: Great selection, including oddball values you can't find elsewhere. Parts "feel" nicer.
Smallbear Cons: Pricier, shipping occasionally feels exaggerated, can sometimes take forever to get to you (ok, just once, but I'm still grumpy over waiting 2 months to get a 20$ chip).

In general I'll default to tayda for pots, but if I'm buying some specialty parts anyway I'll go through SB for convenience sake. The worst is when I ONLY need a single pot of an odd value and I end up needing to pay 7$ shipping for one part.

mwnovak

Alrighty, thank you @TGP39 and @somnif for the feedback: seems like I stumbled my way to a similar conclusion (Mouser for most, SB for pots and enclosures).  I appreciate the confirmation.  --Matt 

Aentons

Bourns makes some really nice pots and mouser carries some of them. They even have a Pro Audio (Guitar) line. But, they don't seem to make smooth shaft 16mm. They do have some 9mm and 17mm knurled shaft. Maybe if we petition them they will start making them.

somnif

Quote from: Aentons on April 17, 2019, 05:39:34 PM
Bourns makes some really nice pots and mouser carries some of them. They even have a Pro Audio (Guitar) line. But, they don't seem to make smooth shaft 16mm. They do have some 9mm and 17mm knurled shaft. Maybe if we petition them they will start making them.

Downside with bourns is price, 3-5$ a pot hurts.