News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thicc is good

Started by madbean, April 18, 2019, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Where have you been all my life? My new favorite. If you haven't given 3mm a go I suggest it. It's pretty much all I will use now. The Primetone ones are good also.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/547p300-7-10137-10846-2.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=&ecCategory=

jimilee

I have a V pick that's pretty thick. I started using the sharp pointed Dunlop picks. I made fun of my cousin for using them until I used one.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/412r-7-10137-00101-5.do?view=100119,100200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Wha!? How, it seems like it would be like playing with a tree.

I usually just play without a pick. Unless I'm playing bass.. I know it's wrong but that's
what I do

Aentons

I don't really understand the thick, pointy, slippery pick thing. I have tried a bunch and it just feels weird to me. I even have Gravity pick and don't really like it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GCLS15P--gravity-picks-classic

Are there advantages that I've overlooked?

I use the .88 Neon Star Picks for electric, the thick purple 1.14 ones for bass, and the thin flappy red .50 ones for acoustic. They have a really grippy, chalky texture that I like.

selfdestroyer

This got me thinking, I use good ol Fender mediums.. why? Because my dad used them and they were EVERYWHERE around the house. When I was a little kid, I always loved when one of my dads picks got transfered into my pocket from the washing machine. It was such a bonus when I got to school. Anyway, I have not tried many other picks just due to habit.

That may change soon. Will have to try these.

alanp

I will admit, for non-chord things I'm always hugely lazy. I have nails on the end of my fingers, what's wrong with those?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Real* guitar players make their own picks by laminating the shed scutes from their pet red-earred slider.  8)

(Ok, so my turtle doesn't shed fast enough for me to use only these, but it is fun anyway.)

*I'm not a real guitar player, but I fake it fairly well most of the time.  :P
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Timko

I finally made the move to 1.5mm after playing .88s forever :)

However, I've been a big fan of Primetone material for a while.  Even though they aren't tacky, they have amazing grip. And for some reason, I tend to prefer the sound of clear material to a Tortex opaque material (no scientific evidence to back up these findings).

EBK

Quote from: Timko on April 19, 2019, 08:23:04 AM

However, I've been a big fan of Primetone material for a while.  Even though they aren't tacky, they have amazing grip. And for some reason, I tend to prefer the sound of clear material to a Tortex opaque material (no scientific evidence to back up these findings).
Tortex is glass-filled polycarbonate, by the way.  I've always found that interesting. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Timko

Quote from: EBK on April 19, 2019, 08:48:55 AM

Tortex is glass-filled polycarbonate, by the way.  I've always found that interesting.

The plot thickens...

madbean

Quote from: Timko on April 19, 2019, 08:54:12 AM
Quote from: EBK on April 19, 2019, 08:48:55 AM

The plot thickens...

So do the picks.

davent

I've a well worn V pick Diamond, 4mm thick which i used with all my guitars. With an acoustic sometimes the 'V', sometimes it's a big Gibson straight sided triangle, medium weight which i like the sound of the pick slap on the strings while strumming. Both types easy relaxed grip, no slippage.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

EBK

I'm really curious about this monstrously thick 3.0mm pick.  I like beveled picks a lot, to the point where I will sometimes sand a bevel onto a new pick before using it.  I've only ever done this to picks that are 1mm or slightly thicker though.  I haven't cared a lot for the purple tortex picks though at 1.14mm in the past, and I haven't cared for the thickness of BlueChip picks either (those are $35 apiece, last I checked, but come with a money back guarantee, so I'd recommend giving them a go -- they glide like butter).  Do you think if I just pushed WAY beyond pick thicknesses that I haven't cared for that I could actually like the experience?  I might just throw some of these in my next Amazon order, along with those Infeld strings I'm planning on trying.  Could turn out to be life altering.  Who knows?

playpunk

The flow jumbos are great. The 4.2mm ones are monstrous and I'm not sure if it's in a good way.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

nzCdog

Went through a thicky pick phase... back to 0.88mm tortex now. 

I play 9's so don't need too much weight, and this thickness allows me to switch between pick'in and strum'in seamlessly. The only trick I have is to sharpen the tips to the exact point shape I like using a little sandpaper. Takes 'em from meh to awesome