News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thicc is good

Started by madbean, April 18, 2019, 11:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockola

Back when Jesus was a boy, I went to Leningrad in the Soviet Union. Neither of course exists by that name anymore. The music department at Gostinyi Dvor (biggest department store in town) wasn't super well stocked, I wish I'd bought that Polivoks synth though. They did have picks in a lovely wine red faux-tortoise pattern, made out of something that passed for plastic in the USSR. Don't remember how much they cost but I bought 3 bags (of 100). Never used another pick since. Just measured one and they're .6mm thick. 3mm, let alone anything thicker, is pretty much unimaginable for me.

Andlord

I've been playing with a Hufschmid Drop for a few years now and it is the most comfy pick I ever had.
Check them out, they are great: https://www.plectrum.ch/

jkokura

I have some thicc piccs.

I've been really digging using the Dunlop Primetone Picks, and they've turned into my favourite picks. I have some .88s for acoustic guitar, but I use the 1.4s for Electric. Very little give, grip in the middle, and my fav shape - the Jazz III XL. Perfect for me, right between the Jazz III and Regular triangle. LOVE IT. I used to use nothing but the .88 tortex picks, but I'd burn through them when they broke down and got less strong. I cannot for the life of me get these Primetone picks to break down. They stay at the right stiffness forever, and I think it has to do with material. Not sure if they're ultex or whatever. I don't mind paying a buck-fitty for a single pick with these, because they don't wear out. I remember getting 5 for a buck on those old tortexes, and I'd go through 10 in the time I've had with one of these. AMAZING!

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/520r140-7-10137-09277-8.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=&ecCategory=

I also have some cool 1.5-2mm (not sure exactly) thick wood picks I got a while back. They're by John Pearse, called the Sarod. I have one in Ebony and one in Rosewood. Both are really great sounding, and they have a very different texture. I can't strum with them really, which makes me focus a lot more on my picking technique more. I like these because they have an indent for your finger, and it's a specific shape, so it forces you to hold it a certain way. They're different on each pick, so depending on the sound/technique I'm going for, I reach for one or the other.

http://www.jpstrings.com/brpicks.htm

But my thickest pick, and I only use it occasionally, is this Dunlop 3mm Primetone pick. They're indented in the middle, so I don't have a hard time holding it, and it is pointed which I prefer compared to the rounded version. I love how weighty it is when I hit the string. I don't play metal, but I feel like I could with these things. They feel like a pick still, not like using a huge coin or something. There's a 5mm version I'm tempted by sometimes too, but the 3mm is fine for me.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/477r308-7-10137-00926-4.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=8&refType=&from=fn

It's crazy, I know, but different picks have different sounds to me, and not because they change your technique, but because of the material. But I also enjoy how they feel differently, so playing with a different pick actually changes the way I play, so it might sound different also.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

EBK

Quote from: jkokura on April 23, 2019, 04:57:26 PM
I also have some cool 1.5-2mm (not sure exactly) thick wood picks I got a while back. They're by John Pearse, called the Sarod. I have one in Ebony and one in Rosewood.
I also own a rosewood sarod pick.  Sarod is actually the name of the instrument they are designed for (close cousin of the sitar), not the name of the pick. 

Bought mine mostly because it looked cool, and I sometimes like to carry an interesting guitar pick with me, even if I'm not planning on being near a guitar.  It's sort of like a fidget toy for me.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

Okay, yeah I went too far. But, the 5mm one on the left actually feels pretty good.

timbo_93631

I can't get thicc.  I have some.  Got onto the D'Andrea and Pyramid Strings ones for awhile, but like Cody, I am a Fender medium guy too.  I do use thick strings though, 11-50's on Tele's and Strats, 12-52 and 13-54's on the hollowbodies, archtops, and Jazzmasters. 

I get a pickup parts order or two a week from Philadelphia Luthier, they throw in some branded picks with every order that are the same size and feel as the Fender mediums, probably the most likely thing to find in my little jeans pocket.  My good buddy and guitar mentor Terry Fortune uses thin Fender Mandolin picks and 9's, thats teeny tiny stuff, but he makes it sound great, I can barely hold onto them.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jkokura

Quote from: madbean on May 10, 2019, 11:55:15 PM
Okay, yeah I went too far. But, the 5mm one on the left actually feels pretty good.

That's the 5 mm version of the 3mm one I like. I agree that it feels good in the hand, amazing actually for how big it is.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Aentons

Mine is super grippy and has a nice weight in the hand with natural weight relief!  8)

movinginslomo

I take a leftover slab of granite from a countertop project...

Aentons

Quote from: movinginslomo on May 12, 2019, 06:52:12 PM
I take a leftover slab of granite from a countertop project...

No sir, that there is genuine Hawaiian volcano rock... from Hawaii (I don't actually use it as a pick tho... sorry, I was just being silly and kidding around.)

EBK

I have experimented with a pick that is 25mm thick but only 1mm wide.  I find the extreme narrowness really cuts down on the weight and lets the monstrously thick pick move faster (less wind resistance or something). 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

gordo

I've been using the same half dozen Dunlop purple Tortex picks since the late 80's. with string slides and stuff they're so ratty you could slice bread with them. I had a few of the cool wood ones but wore them down to stumps (no pun intended). I've used various coins including a Loonie for that "sqwink" picking noise when it fits a song. I've certainly got my monies worth out of the Dunlops though.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aleph Null

It's obvious where this is heading: your pick quest will end with a shamisen bachi.

matmosphere

Quote from: gordo on May 13, 2019, 02:08:24 AM
I've been using the same half dozen Dunlop purple Tortex picks since the late 80's. with string slides and stuff they're so ratty you could slice bread with them. I had a few of the cool wood ones but wore them down to stumps (no pun intended). I've used various coins including a Loonie for that "sqwink" picking noise when it fits a song. I've certainly got my monies worth out of the Dunlops though.

Good god man, it usually takes me minutes to lose a pick. That's why I haven't used them much for years. Thirty years out of the same six picks, that's impressive.

gordo

I always carry one in my right front pocket, as if there's going to be some sort of guitar based emergency occurring while I'm away from home...  :o
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?