Author Topic: Thicc is good  (Read 1750 times)

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
Thicc is good
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »
Where have you been all my life? My new favorite. If you haven't given 3mm a go I suggest it. It's pretty much all I will use now. The Primetone ones are good also.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/547p300-7-10137-10846-2.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=&ecCategory=

I own madbeanpedals (duh). I am part owner of Function F(X).

jimilee

• Electron Doctor
  • Jimi Lee
    • View Profile
Re: Thicc is good
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »
I have a V pick thatís pretty thick. I started using the sharp pointed Dunlop picks. I made fun of my cousin for using them until I used one.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/412r-7-10137-00101-5.do?view=100119,100200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Matmosphere

• Electron Doctor
  • Matthew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »
Wha!? How, it seems like it would be like playing with a tree.

I usually just play without a pick. Unless Iím playing bass.. I know itís wrong but thatís
what I do

Aentons

• Solder Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »
I don't really understand the thick, pointy, slippery pick thing. I have tried a bunch and it just feels weird to me. I even have Gravity pick and don't really like it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GCLS15P--gravity-picks-classic

Are there advantages that I've overlooked?

I use the .88 Neon Star Picks for electric, the thick purple 1.14 ones for bass, and the thin flappy red .50 ones for acoustic. They have a really grippy, chalky texture that I like.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:30:50 PM by Aentons »

selfdestroyer

• skilled electronics ninja master
  • Electron Doctor
  • Cody - Fresno CA USA
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 11:34:34 PM »
This got me thinking, I use good ol Fender mediums.. why? Because my dad used them and they were EVERYWHERE around the house. When I was a little kid, I always loved when one of my dads picks got transfered into my pocket from the washing machine. It was such a bonus when I got to school. Anyway, I have not tried many other picks just due to habit.

That may change soon. Will have to try these.

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »
I will admit, for non-chord things I'm always hugely lazy. I have nails on the end of my fingers, what's wrong with those?
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:18:07 AM »
Real* guitar players make their own picks by laminating the shed scutes from their pet red-earred slider.  8)

(Ok, so my turtle doesn't shed fast enough for me to use only these, but it is fun anyway.)

*I'm not a real guitar player, but I fake it fairly well most of the time.  :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:06:41 AM by EBK »
Not affiliated with Oatey, makers of the world's best and most delicious* low tar solder paste. Ask for Oatey -- It's the juiciest!

*Solder paste is not food.  If ingested, seek medical help promptly.

Timko

• Electron Doctor
  • I'm walking a line, visiting houses in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 09:23:04 AM »
I finally made the move to 1.5mm after playing .88s forever :)

However, I've been a big fan of Primetone material for a while.  Even though they aren't tacky, they have amazing grip. And for some reason, I tend to prefer the sound of clear material to a Tortex opaque material (no scientific evidence to back up these findings).

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 09:48:55 AM »

However, I've been a big fan of Primetone material for a while.  Even though they aren't tacky, they have amazing grip. And for some reason, I tend to prefer the sound of clear material to a Tortex opaque material (no scientific evidence to back up these findings).
Tortex is glass-filled polycarbonate, by the way.  I've always found that interesting. 
Not affiliated with Oatey, makers of the world's best and most delicious* low tar solder paste. Ask for Oatey -- It's the juiciest!

Timko

• Electron Doctor
  • I'm walking a line, visiting houses in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:54:12 AM »

Tortex is glass-filled polycarbonate, by the way.  I've always found that interesting.

The plot thickens...

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 10:04:53 AM »

The plot thickens...

So do the picks.
I own madbeanpedals (duh). I am part owner of Function F(X).

davent

• Electron Doctor
  • Hamilton ON
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 10:16:45 AM »
I've a well worn V pick Diamond, 4mm thick which i used with all my guitars. With an acoustic sometimes the 'V', sometimes it's a big Gibson straight sided triangle, medium weight which i like the sound of the pick slap on the strings while strumming. Both types easy relaxed grip, no slippage.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

EBK

• Electron Doctor
  • Eric K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
I'm really curious about this monstrously thick 3.0mm pick.  I like beveled picks a lot, to the point where I will sometimes sand a bevel onto a new pick before using it.  I've only ever done this to picks that are 1mm or slightly thicker though.  I haven't cared a lot for the purple tortex picks though at 1.14mm in the past, and I haven't cared for the thickness of BlueChip picks either (those are $35 apiece, last I checked, but come with a money back guarantee, so I'd recommend giving them a go -- they glide like butter).  Do you think if I just pushed WAY beyond pick thicknesses that I haven't cared for that I could actually like the experience?  I might just throw some of these in my next Amazon order, along with those Infeld strings I'm planning on trying.  Could turn out to be life altering.  Who knows?

playpunk

• Electron Doctor
  • Andrew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
The flow jumbos are great. The 4.2mm ones are monstrous and Iím not sure if itís in a good way.
"my legend grows" - playpunk

nzCdog

• Electron Doctor
  • Corey - Christchurch, NZ
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »
Went through a thicky pick phase... back to 0.88mm tortex now. 

I play 9's so don't need too much weight, and this thickness allows me to switch between pick'in and strum'in seamlessly. The only trick I have is to sharpen the tips to the exact point shape I like using a little sandpaper. Takes 'em from meh to awesome