News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Thicc is good

Started by madbean, April 18, 2019, 04:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Quote from: playpunk on April 19, 2019, 01:26:38 PM
The flow jumbos are great. The 4.2mm ones are monstrous and I'm not sure if it's in a good way.

How does it even fit between the strings?😀

Leevibe

Quote from: EBK on April 19, 2019, 04:18:07 AM
Real* guitar players make their own picks by laminating the shed scutes from their pet red-earred slider.  8)

(Ok, so my turtle doesn't shed fast enough for me to use only these, but it is fun anyway.)
Dude. That's kind of cool.
*I'm not a real guitar player, but I fake it fairly well most of the time.  :P

alanp

One time, I only had a tin of those Fender tortex pics on hand and the slick little bastards kept flying out of my hand.

So I chewed on one, slightly, to get a surface that I could get a grip on.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

EBK

Quote from: Leevibe on April 19, 2019, 07:46:28 PM
Dude. That's kind of cool.
Thanks.  Maybe I'll start a separate thread about it when I get around to making another one (I've described it on DIYSB, but I've learned enough to make it better).  The process is a bit labor intensive, but it's super simple material-wise and hardware-wise.  And, the pick is surprisingly durable.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

EBK

Quote from: Aentons on April 19, 2019, 07:20:23 PM
The flow jumbos are great. The 4.2mm ones are monstrous and I'm not sure if it's in a good way.

Now I am wondering what's the thickest commercially available pick. 

Edit: Found an 11.85mm so far....
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

davent

Quote from: EBK on April 20, 2019, 06:50:12 AM
Quote from: Aentons on April 19, 2019, 07:20:23 PM

I'd like to try one of those, the 4mm seems thin when i use it now, my screwy memory says it was fatter.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aleph Null

Quote from: EBK on April 20, 2019, 06:50:12 AM

25mm Purple Plectrum

madbean

I've got one of the 9mm purples incoming. At the very least, it'll be a good prop.

benny_profane

When I first started playing guitar, a teacher used the Dunlop 3.0mm purple big stubby ones exclusively (even turning them around to play with the round edge sometimes). I used them because I figured that was normal. Found my way to basic Dunlop .73 and .88mm nylon picks and have used those ever since. I play 11s or 12s with my acoustic and LP—both sizes work for me there. I have 10s on a jaguar and can only use the .73s with that guitar. Anything bigger and my heavy hand breaks strings way too fast.

Leevibe

Quote from: madbean on April 20, 2019, 11:02:58 AM
I've got one of the 9mm purples incoming. At the very least, it'll be a good prop.

As in you can prop your guitar up with it

EBK

Another 25mm puck pick:

Aentons

This one goes to 11...

somnif

I remember playing with a friends guitar in high school, and asking to borrow a pick. Dude hands me a 0.38mm nylon ...thing.

I have no idea how one can play with a pick THAT flimsy. It felt like I would going to be shaving bits off with the strings. There was NO tactile feedback, it was like playing with a paintbrush.

Aleph Null

Quote from: somnif on April 20, 2019, 08:06:08 PM
I remember playing with a friends guitar in high school, and asking to borrow a pick. Dude hands me a 0.38mm nylon ...thing.

I have no idea how one can play with a pick THAT flimsy. It felt like I would going to be shaving bits off with the strings. There was NO tactile feedback, it was like playing with a paintbrush.

Fold it over a couple times?  8)

EBK