News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

More 1590A Builds (Vibe, Fixed Wah & Others)

Started by dan.schumaker, April 23, 2019, 08:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

Here is a next batch of 1590A pedals I have made up.  I've had a crazy idea to make a full pedalboard with just 1590A pedals that have one control pot, one switch (I'm calling them my 1+1 pedals) and (mostly) built-in relay bypass switching.  I have a complete board assortment of them done, just waiting on making the actual board, so stay tuned for that  :D

So here is a few of them before the big reveal:
MV-68 - Univibe with switchable intensity levels.  This has two intensity settings that can be changed via internal trimpots.  The nice thing about this is that if I ever want to make a 2 knob univibe, I can just wire one of the trim pots externally.
1924 MV-68 by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Lagoon - This is a fixed wah pedal using an axial inductor.  This is just your classic crybaby wah circuit with switchable frequency.  A lot like the Fulltone Wah-ful.
1923 Lagoon by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Reverb_1 - This is a FV-1 based reverb pedal.  It has Shimmer, Plate and Room reverbs loaded in.  The knob controls the dry/wet mix of the reverb, and the switch chooses the reverb type.  The trim-pots on the inside control the damping and decay of the reverb.  The same board could be used for other FV-1 programs (I'm thinking a possible octave pedal, control for the mix of octave and switch between octave up, down and both)
1915 Reverb_1 by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Medium - This is a Dynacomp based compressor using a LM13700.  The control is your dry/compressed blend and the switch controls three levels of compression (kind of like the SP compressor).  There can be a little bit of a volume boost switching the three levels.  I originally had this with a blend and switch between three attack speeds, but the changes in attack speed wasn't super apparent, so I moved to the comp switch.
1929 Medium by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Jormungandr - This is a single knob delay pedal.  I know what you are thinking, that can't be that useful.  This works as a set and forget simple delay.  The knob is for the mix, and the control switches between three delay times.  Its nice to have a quick slapback when you need it, or to switch to a longer, spacier delay.  The trimpot on the inside lets you dial in the amount of repeats.  I also designed a EHX Full Double Tracking, it works, but it was just a little too noisy to be usable.
1919 Jormungandr by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

Elevation - This is a take on the Kay F1 fuzz.  Obviously, the name is based on this being the Fuzz The Edge used on Elevation.  This is a huge sounding octave fuzz.  Fully of nastiness and synth-like octaves higher up the neck.  The control is between a brighter and a darker tone, while the switch changes the Q1 Emitter cap, giving different gain ranges.
1925 Elevtation by Dan Schumaker, on Flickr

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: dan.schumaker on April 23, 2019, 08:13:38 AM
MV-68 - Univibe with switchable intensity levels.

:o

I think the other way to do the delay was to switch the mix level. I'm pretty sure I almost never touch the mix knob except when I want it unity.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: midwayfair on April 23, 2019, 09:13:24 AM
Quote from: dan.schumaker on April 23, 2019, 08:13:38 AM
MV-68 - Univibe with switchable intensity levels.

:o

I think the other way to do the delay was to switch the mix level. I'm pretty sure I almost never touch the mix knob except when I want it unity.

I did throw that idea around.  I decided on the mix level because I like being able to dial down the signal for the longer delay or ramp it back up to about unity to do a faux-double tracked thing on the shorter delays.  But that was the biggest challenge on some of these pedals, trying to decide what controls to have on the outside, and what ones to switch or have on trim pots.  I'm sure after giving the full board a workout, I'll kick myself for some of my decisions  :D

sturgeo

Bio77

Those look great!

I noticed you have been using the 10 pin relays instead of the 8 pin on your recent builds.  Is that a space decision or are there other differences?

dan.schumaker

Quote from: Bio77 on April 23, 2019, 03:04:04 PM
Those look great!

I noticed you have been using the 10 pin relays instead of the 8 pin on your recent builds.  Is that a space decision or are there other differences?

Totally space decision.  These 10 pin ones are a lot shorter than the NA5W-K, those won't let me close the top on a 1590A!

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Willybomb

Ok.... I'm in for one of your reverb boards!

287m

EBK

What kind of inductor is that in the Lagoon? 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

alanp

I am really tempted to build that reverb up into a 1590B or something, with the trimpots brought out to panel controls.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website