News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone done a guitar building or setup workshop?

Started by matmosphere, April 27, 2019, 05:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

I'm thinking about looking for a weekend maintenance/set-up workshop this summer.

Anyone on here ever done something like that? Any recommendations for a good program?

gordo

No but would definitely do the same. I'd consider myself semi-pro but always looking to improve.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

These guys travel the country yearly. I haven't been, but is really like to.

https://www.supremesoundstudio.com/complete-guitar-repair-set-up-clini

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rockola

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 27, 2019, 05:57:36 PM
I'm thinking about looking for a weekend maintenance/set-up workshop this summer.

Anyone on here ever done something like that? Any recommendations for a good program?
I did a two week guitar building course some years back. Took me 100 working hours all up to get the project finished, with previous experience. A weekend focusing on just maintenance sounds like a fun thing to do too.

Muadzin

I've been part of a local guitarbuilding class since 2014. In that time its not so much a structured class as more a workshop where you can use the tools to build your own guitar(s) with the aid or advice of the luthiers being present. Also some of the other people who build there have amassed quite the knowledge themselves. So we can consult each other as well. From what I gather its quite unique because we have one guy who comes in all the way from The Hague, which is on the other side of the country.

I like to build guitars that are a little different then usual, cause if I want yet another Tele or Strat I could just as easily buy one. So my guitars follow a Warhammer 40.000 theme and usually have lots of internal gizmos. Cause why not? Noise making circuits, sustainers and/or MIDI touch screens.

1st build, internal Fuzz Factory and Fernandes Sustainer

2nd build, amptone MIDI touchpad and Fernandes Sustainer

3rd build, 1st Floyd Rose, internal Cry Baby for Pink Floydesque Echoes seagul screams

4th build, internal Fuzz Factory and Cry Baby circuit

5th build, 7 string with Sustainiac Sustainer

6th build, basically a reworked old Squier Tele, no additional circuits other then some kill switches.

7th build, amptone MIDI touchpad and Fernandes Sustainer, this is where I learned to do a factory finish style paintjob.

8th build, reworked version of the first one with new body and superior paint job

9th build, Jazz Bass kit from Thomann.

10th build, amptone MIDI touchpad and Fernandes Sustainer, first matt finish paint job.

11th build, first Jazzmaster build, internal Fuzz Factory

Tinker

Cool pictures! I hope I will be able to make something like this myself when I grow up

Rohitstad

Not yet, but I would really like to. I want to learn to make guitars myself to make a perfect one for me.  So far, I have struggled to get a guitar that would fit me the most, and I got the idea to start making guitars. No one in my small town does that, and I think I will have some customers. I will also make guitar picks like the ones from https://ironageaccessories.com/collections/choosing-the-right-pick. Now I need to find a professional that I can learn from and gain some most important knowledge and skills. And then, I will be ready to open my workshop. I hope to do that before I hit 22, and I can start making my first guitars immediately. I am 15 now, and I hope I have enough time to learn.

pickdropper

Quote from: Muadzin on April 29, 2019, 02:12:39 AM
I've been part of a local guitarbuilding class since 2014. In that time its not so much a structured class as more a workshop where you can use the tools to build your own guitar(s) with the aid or advice of the luthiers being present. Also some of the other people who build there have amassed quite the knowledge themselves. So we can consult each other as well. From what I gather its quite unique because we have one guy who comes in all the way from The Hague, which is on the other side of the country.

I like to build guitars that are a little different then usual, cause if I want yet another Tele or Strat I could just as easily buy one. So my guitars follow a Warhammer 40.000 theme and usually have lots of internal gizmos. Cause why not? Noise making circuits, sustainers and/or MIDI touch screens.

1st build, internal Fuzz Factory and Fernandes Sustainer

2nd build, amptone MIDI touchpad and Fernandes Sustainer

3rd build, 1st Floyd Rose, internal Cry Baby for Pink Floydesque Echoes seagul screams

4th build, internal Fuzz Factory and Cry Baby circuit

5th build, 7 string with Sustainiac Sustainer

6th build, basically a reworked old Squier Tele, no additional circuits other then some kill switches.

7th build, amptone MIDI touchpad and Fernandes Sustainer, this is where I learned to do a factory finish style paintjob.

8th build, reworked version of the first one with new body and superior paint job

9th build, Jazz Bass kit from Thomann.

10th build, amptone MIDI touchpad and Fernandes Sustainer, first matt finish paint job.

11th build, first Jazzmaster build, internal Fuzz Factory

Late reply, but these look really great.  Fantastic work.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Muadzin

Quote from: pickdropper on June 22, 2022, 04:27:37 AM
Late reply, but these look really great.  Fantastic work.

Thanks man! Been working on a lot more. At times during the lockdowns it was all I had to do. I've been blessed by my appartment neighbors never complaining.  8) I'll get around to posting some more soon.

dawson

@Muadzin, these guitars are really cool- the added functionalities and sci-fi armor are very unique to say the least.

Are these instruments involved in any recording projects that you'd be willing to share?
I'm very curious to hear what they've been designed to do.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.