News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clari(not) LED/LDR

Started by DLW, April 30, 2019, 07:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLW

Trying to build a Clari(not) clone, but I'm not getting any modulation from the LED/LDR. PT2399 modulated signal works fine, though. I get ~5V from pin 5 of the LM386 and the anode of C14. I don't see any voltage from the cathode of C14 which feeds into the tracking pot and later the LED. If I jumper the anode of C14 to any pad of the tracking potentiometer, the LED lights up, so there isn't anything wrong with that part of the circuit. Does somebody know where the LED is getting power to emit light? Based on the schematic, I doesn't make sense to me how there could be any voltage through the cathode of C14 and eventually to the LED. Pretty much every other circuit with a LED/LDR that I've looked at, the LED receives some amount of supply power.

On a related but separate note...I assume a signal causes the LED to dim/brighten and produce the modulated effect in the Clari(not). Is this true? If so, how is that happening? Does the PT2399 contribute to this?

Here is a link to a common schematic for the Clari(not)... https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/midfielectronics/media/bWVkaWFJZDo1OTExNzIyNw==/?ref=

somnif

The 386 is basically a (very) crude envelope follower, the LED will only light when there is a sharp attack/input spike. That sharply amplified signal lights LED, which drops the resistance on pin 6 of the 2399 causing the weird warping effect.

Under normal operation, the circuit just behaves like a 2399 delay, nothing funky about it. If you're not getting that envelope-warp effect, double check the value on the tracking trimmer and R8.

DLW

Thanks, this is helpful info :)